Getting older. Recently diagnosed high blood pressure and diabetic

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, im new to the forums. As i mentioned , im now diabetic w high blood pressure. Im here to see what others are doing about these things.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

James, are you on medicine ? What is your A1C ? Tell us a little more like what actions you are taking.
  • Posted

Hi James,  I look after my mother is quite elderly and after becoming diabetic, she developed high bp, tachycardia and other related problems. She was unable to tolerate meds, so I tried some herbs and acupuncture. They worked wonderfully!
  • Posted

Hi James

I have been on wholefood plant based diet, with no salt, sugar or oil.

There is a lot of advice on this on the net.

Look it up. I have found it very beneficial.

• Posted

Does that diet help both problems or just the one. Do you still have to take meds? How out of control were the diabetes and high BP before you went on the diet?
    • Posted

Be careful about low salt. Low salt can result in stroke and other health problems.

While managing my mother’s food, I cook everything fresh. So she  doesn’t get any salt other than what is used to season food. I use only natural sea salt or hemalayan salt. Processed foods contain high levels of unhealthy salts.

I was surprised to find that humans require two teaspoons of salt a day.  Since there is no way my mother will exceed this salt intake eating only home cooked foods, I do not restrict her salt intake at all. I have not observed any harmful effects of salt and in fact, I suspect increasing her salt consumption has actually improved her health.

Certainly its worthwhile to take a few moments an research for yourself how much salt the body requires, given that sodium is required for proper function of every cell in the body.

• Posted

A lot depends on how your readings are? Are you definitely diabetic and on meds or have you been told it can be controlled by diet? Did you have high BP before being diagnosed with diabetes or were both diagnosed at the same time. I have both but diagnosed 20 Years apart, and am on meds for both
  • Posted

James, getting older is a relative concept.  For some people 40 is old, for others 80 is old.  Getting older poses it challenges but you can do things.  I’m 54.

I find that both T2 Diabetes and elevated Blood Pressure are related.  I was on BP medication for years.  But when I aggressively addressed my T2 I found that I no longer needed BP meds.   Note I only refer to T2.  T1 is a different matter.

Although this is not a revolutionary statement a critical consideration is diet and exercise management.  We can debate which is more important but i can say with confidence that BOTH, when addressed concurrently, can have a major impact to the point of reducing if not eliminating the need for meds.

If you provide a bit more detail about you and your situation you will get more specific ideas from the forum.

Peter

• Posted

Hi James

My grandmom has the same. She was super okay before age has come. One thing I have learned while taking care of her is portion control. I was at first scared of not knowing anything about it. Turns out, she can eat almost everything. Without the sugar, though. She eats fruits rich in fibre, takes lots of water, a balanced diet. It was a hard adjustment for her at first. Don't forget exercising too James. She started by simply walking around and is now jogging just according to her pace.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.