Getting on a plane after PAE

Posted , 3 users are following.

I will be flying out of state (about 3 hours) for a PAE procedure and am worried about getting on a plane after the procedure. All the doctors I've communicated with regarding PAE tell me frequency and urgency will definitely be a problem in the first several days after PAE . They also tell me that although it's rare there have been cases where the prostate swelled enough after PAE to completely stop urine flow. Getting on a plane with either of those situations really concerns me. I've never had to catheterize but when I get up at night to pee it takes a long time to come out and is a very weak stream so if the prostate swells after PAE I'm afraid I would be one of those rare cases of complete blockage

If anyone who has had PAE can chime in with your experience afterwards or advice about getting on a plane after PAE, I sure would appreciate it

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

When I had my PAE done, there would have been no way I was getting on a plane. I had extreme pain and had to pee every 5-10 minutes.

• Posted

Bobcats, I was thinking about staying for 3-4 days instead of leaving the next day. One doctor told me I should leave the next day after the procedure to avoid those after effects because they will get worse on day 2-4. The other doc said just the opposite, he said to stay a few days to let those after effects subside a bit. How long did those symptoms last for you?

• Posted

I just had a repeat PAE yesterday. The pain and discomfort along with "false" urgency and frequency...Again , i would not get on a plane !

But i have read about men on this site going out to lunch after the procedure... so who knows.

I have also read on this site that those who did not experience pain and discomfort, generally did not have significant reduction in BPH symptoms. That is not scientific, just what i have read here and there.

im On day 2 right now, Last night was difficult with getting up every 5-10 mins to dribble out a tiny bit of burning urine. Today is much better with a pretty good flow about every 30 minutes.

First PAE helped for about 2 years, doc said I had re-vascularization of 7 arteries feeding and growing prostate. He is confident that he blocked all for a positive outcome. We shall see!

I wish you all the best!

• Posted

Bobcats... Sorry to hear PAE gives you so many problems right after the procedure. I know some guys have little to no side effects but your experience has prompted me to schedule a consultation with Dr Bhatia here in Miami. I consider him #3 in the eastern US behind Isaacson and Bagla as far as experience but he's close by and I wouldn't have to get on a plane with the side effects you had. Can't imagine being on a plane with your side effects and being told I can't use the rest room because we're landing, rough weather, etc and the possible embarrassment of of a foley catheter leaking on a plane doesn't set well with me either. Please continue to update us here on your recovery or direct message me. I'm very interested to see how you progress.

• Posted

Pete,

I had PAE in 2013. I had no swelling and was always able to urinate afterwards. The PAE didn't help me much probably because of my enlarged median lobe. In 2018 I took up intermittent cathterization, and have been doing it for 3 years now. A Urologist's office showed me how to do it and prescribed and ordered the catheters. There is no pain and it takes about 5 minutes, with clean up and everything. I highly recommend it for your situation. The are some good discussions on this forum about catheterization started by jimjames.

Thomas

• Posted

Pete,

It seems like my last post ran off the page. I'll try to post again.

I had PAE in 2013. I had no swelling and was always able to urinate afterwards. The PAE didn't help me much probably because of my enlarged median lobe. In 2018 I took up intermittent cathterization, and have been doing it for 3 years now. A Urologist's office showed me how to do it and prescribed and ordered the catheters. There is no pain and it takes about 5 minutes, with clean up and everything. I highly recommend it for your situation. I have used catheters several times on planes. The are some good discussions on this forum about catheterization started by jimjames.

Thomas

• Posted

I'm planning on asking them to give me a few catheters for the trip home just in case swelling stops my urine flow and using the JimJames method.

• Posted

Pete,

It would probably be best if you would try to use a catheter at least once before you fly. Many people draw blood the first time they use the catheter and sometimes have a Urinary Track Infection because of it. However the doctor will probably have you on an antibiotic after the PAE. It would be even better if you used them at least once per day for a week or several days before, to allow the urethra to adapt. I would recommend a pre-lubed type like Coloplast Speedicath, so you don't have to pre-lube the catheter in an airplane restroom. Also although you can clean with paper towels and soap, Antibacterial hand wipes, like Wet Ones with Benzalkonium Chloride, make it much easier. I usually buy them from Walmart. Anther solution is to have them put in a Foley catheter for the PAE and keep it in afterwards, for the flight (not pleasant but could be done). I had a Foley put in before my PAE figuring that it helps the doctors get a point of reference in their imaging. It also helps in case you have to urinate during the procedure, and afterwards while laying in bed waiting for the entry wound to heal (4 hours with a sand bag on top of the wound).

Best wishes,

Thomas

• Posted

TKM...Since frequency and urgency are the main problem along with not always being able to use the restroom during a flight, it seems as though a foley inserted after the procedure would be better than CIC. The urine could then flow as it needs to without me even getting out of my seat.

• Posted

Pete,

There was a person on this website, named Stan, who had the Focal Laser Ablation procedure done in Houston Texas, a couple years ago. He flew from Houston to Austria in Europe the next day with a foley catheter. His procedure was a success, and he did not complain much about the Foley, so I assume it was tolerable but not pleasant.

Thomas

• Posted

TKM.. I give that guy a lot of credit. I'm tall with long legs and am very uncomfortable on flights. I can't imagine enduring that long of a flight even without a catheter, but with the catheter would be pure hell for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.