Getting orlistat from gp?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I have been reading up on orlistat over the last few weeks and have made an appointment to see my gp about it next Monday. I was just wondering how everyone's gps were with giving them prescriptions for orlistat.

I am currently just over 19 stone :-( something I'm not proud of. I have a two year old toddler and finding weight loss increasingly difficult so think some help shoving me in the right direction would be great for me.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It really depends on your GP, according to NICE guidelines you are supposed to show  your GP that you are serious about weight loss by losing weight by diet before they prescribe Orlistat but some will prescribe it and give you the chance.
    • Posted

Thanks Adam1168, I have lost about 18lb since January with changing my eating habits and trying to exercise more but keep hitting brick walls. I'm hoping the doc will give me a chance on it and that seeing some weight loss will spur me on and help me make permanent life changes biggrin
  • Posted

My GP was loveley about it depends on what your gp is like! i know some don't like giving it out i just said to her i wanted to lose weight and she wrote out the prescription. I started out same weight as you i was 19.5 size 24 less than a year later was a size 14 now a 12-14 you do have to put the work in obviously the heavier you are the more weight comes off quicker. If you have other other questions once you get your tablets just post back. Also if they aren't keen on giving you them jut say you need them to kickstart your weightloss and you will need to lose weight every 4 weeks for a repeat prescription. Good Luck x
    • Posted

Thanks britney, its comforting to see your success and to see that if you do it right it clearly works. Fingers crossed I catch my gp in a good mood on monday xx
    • Posted

Hi,

I just went over 231 lb... I don't want to go out anymore.

Please, Britney, do you know a GP who is used to prescribing Weight Loss Programs?

Thanks a lot!

Marie

• Posted

Hi there.  i have been slowly gaining weight for the past 3 years and reached an all time high this past few months.  i tried dieting and exercise but as with you kept coming up emotional walls, which made me wanna eat.  i am 5'2" and reached 12 stone.  I should be 9.5 stone, so am now officially obese for my size.  i have been on Orlistat for a week, and already feel mpore motivated.  i think i have lost a few pounds, and certainly feel that with a little help I may lose some of this horrible middle fat.  Good luck with your Dr.
    • Posted

Hi Britney,

Yes but my GP doesnt work with it so I would like to meet one who could prescribe it ...

• Posted

Hi, I went to my doctor on monday. They dont prescribe orlistat without attending a weight management course first which I am happy to do as I will take all the help I can get. I am waiting for them to contact me. But in the meantime I am back to my healthy eating and hopefully will shed a few more pounds before that starts smile x
    • Posted

You can't just go to any GP you have to be in the area of the surgery i suggest you change your DR and go to another one in your area i believe chemist4u or chemist direct sell them they are about £60.00
    • Posted

Hi Charmaine that's great and you seem to be in the right frame of mind to do this good luck and let me know how you get on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.