Getting Orlistat prescribed?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

I am 25 years old and over the past few years I have put on a lot of weight; I've always been big but I've lost control recently. I am 5"4 and I currently weigh over 16 stone, by BMI comes up at 38.7 rolleyes

I have been trying to lose weight but I just go through a cycle of losing a couple of pounds and putting them back on. I've tried all sorts of dieting & am trying to swim regularly but it's not shifting really.

I don't wanna live the rest of my life like this, I'm getting an increasingly bad back and my knees are always painful. I think I need some help, but I don't know how to ask my doctor for Orlistat. My surgery isn't great and I really hate going there, any way I can make it smooth and easy would be great! Thanks smile x

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I basically told my doctor how I felt but to be honest I had asked a couple of years ago and was refused but due to having health problems and being heavier than I ever had been the doctor prescribed them for me. Good luck and just be honest. Xx
  • Posted

Hi Beth, I'm trying to loose similar amounts to you and just had Orlistat prescribed. I think the attitude of GPs has changed with the current emphasis on obesity. Previously my GP said no. I've been exercising 2-3 times a week; running, gym and pilates for the past 2 years. My shape has changed and having toned muscles has made a big difference with my painful joints but I have really struggled to loose weight.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks guys. I am going to try and get in and ask about it - did you guys ask specifically for Orlistat or did the Dr suggest it first?

I'm the heaviest I've ever been now and it's really getting me down. Ali I've been trying exercise too, I'm hoping it will help with my knees. Tried SW too but it was really disheartening after a while. 

• Posted

I have chronic pain and take a lot of prescription painkillers to help, they aren't particularly effective. I normally expect the GP to say, "of course it would help if you loose weight..." This time I told him about the low fat changes I had started to make and reminded him about my exercise then asked if we could give Orlistat a go.

I think that doing the reading about low fat and trying to keep to under 15g of fat per day before I asked probably swung the decision.

There is a good website called Organise Yourself Skinny and Ainsley Harriotts Low Fat Meals in Minutes is good. I'm a veggies so I use a lot of Rose Elliot recipes too.

Hope it goes well.

• Posted

What country are you in I been on them 5 days already feeling change and sticking to it my 1 week weigh in is Saturday I would give them a try
    • Posted

I am in the UK Maria. Fantastic, I hope you have a good result on your weigh in!
  • Posted

Thanks a lot guys, been to the docs this morning and am ashamed to say I was heavier than I even thought I was, and a BMI over 40 so she recommended Orlistat.

Got it now and going to start it, just gonna have a look around here for advice on what not to eat as she didn't give me much advice in the way of that. She was lovely and helpful though. Thanks again smile

• Posted

Hey Beth im new to the forum and I got perscribed Orlistat yesterday by my doctor I started taking yesterday Ive been on slimming world for 3 weeks and lost 6lb so far hopeing these help me aswell! Good luck smile xx
    • Posted

Fab, well good luck to you! Well done, 6lbs so far is great!

Seems we are starting a journey together, this place seems very supportive. Just trying to work out what I can/can't eat now, can't believe the fat in some things I thought were good! (Houmous, looking at you o_o)

• Posted

I've joined a group on facebook there amazing you should join x
    • Posted

Do you use same name mine is Maria Spurs Fragoulis there very helpful we chat daily
    • Posted

Ah I'm not on Facebook, but the support of the people here seems really good smile
    • Posted

Yes they are I get more replys and support than I do on steady health

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.