Getting out of the bath

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all,

I am three months post op ( left hip replacement) and was signed off by my surgeon 3 weeks ago. He told me I could have a bath!!! 

So excited.  I gave it a go tonight. Got in fine and had a lovely bath. Stood up fine and put my non operated leg out of bath and then thought god how do I get the other leg out! 

I live on my own so no one was there to help . So I just lifted it up and over to the side . I really don't think that was the right way. But no ill effects. Has anyone got any experience of successfully getting out of a roll top bath. I have looked on line but can't find anything.

Thanks all!

Lucy

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That's the way I go out of the shower after hip surgery.

• Posted

You are lucky you can get up from the bottom of the bath - that is what I find impossible.  Getting over the side I would step over with the non op leg then hold on to the bath side, lean forward and bring the op legh over lfairly straight -like getting on a man's bike. You need to be near one end of the bath to get enough length.

• Posted

I agree Jomary. Getting up off the floor is really difficult for me. It's as if I have no strength in my legs and I have to hold on to furniture. How long ago was your surgery?

• Posted

my legs are still weak like this,i have a fight to get up off the floor,yet i walk miles and its 6 months past my op! maybe its my age-69 xx

• Posted

You need to identify things you can hang onto safely. 

You should be able to bend at the knee (assuming you can physically),  to help get over the bath sides.  Take it slowly, with great care, perhaps practise when someone is there to assist?

When showering, I hang on to the top of the shower frame which is pretty solid.

• Posted

I'm not meant to bath yet. But I bought a bath lift off eBay. 50 quid. It is a chair goes up and down. So to get out you raise it. Left leg straight and over. Right leg follows and swivel on seat to stand up. I have someone there for safety coz I'm non weight bearing. But I'd just put a perching stool ot chair next to bath to sit straight onto next to bath to get dry etc. Xx

Occupational therapist may advise on the correct way though.

• Posted

Wow that is awesome but I use a shower chair and was told to sit my butt in the chair first and then take a leg at a time to put into tub. I am getting ready for right hip sugery soon. But I think maybe after six months we will see about a tub bath but I do not want to risk anything coming out of socket. Praying everything works out for you.
  • Posted

I did the same after 6 weeks.  What I found hardest was getting up and down though.  I found a way but still prefer a shower.  kneeling is hard but only because my legs have a sort of numbness about them (I am just a year post op).  I have just noticed a positive difference the last couple of weeks so practice kneeling with feet on bum then up and down on to bum again.  Doing this has strengthened my lower legs making it easier to stand up from kneeling instead of pulling my non operated leg under and in front of me.  I think we should all feel proud of any new things we manage after what may be a common operation but is still a major one.
  • Posted

yes, it is your age as its just harder as we get older, I have fibromyalgia also an that is not as bad as the osteoarthritis,  it makes me so stiff and sore.have to take 2 ibuprofen and 2 arthritis Tylenol to get moving. I called the surgeon and told him I keep hitting a wall and that's what he told me to take, only he said to try it 3 x daily for a week. well, I never had to take more than once a day as it was all I needed to get moving but it sure helped me.going in for my right hip very soon as now its as bad as the left was ...very painful and holding me back from walks. The surgery was a breeze, absolutely no pain from when I woke up from surgery. What a wonderful feeling as I had suffered for at least 10 yrs, basically was housebound.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.