Getting palpitations frequently

Posted , 3 users are following.

Over the past few days I’ve been having a lot of anxiety and attacks. This normally starts because I always have palpitations. I can only feel my heart through my neck. I can’t focus properly because my heart is always beating fast, I have no history of heart disease , just anxiety. However, I keep having palpitations to the long where I can’t sleep. It’s 2 am right now and I cants keep because of the palpitations. It scares me because it makes me feel like my heart is about is about to stop. It feels horrible and I still don’t know why I get them. I don’t think about stuff that would trigger it. Anyone going though this or have gone throughout it? I want to sleep peacefully without these palpitations getting in the way...it feels like I can’t breathe. It’s a scary sensation. I’m 21

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Jacey, have you seen a doctor for any of these symptoms?

You mention palpitations, and you mention fast heartbeat, are you just using those two terms for the same thing?

Of course you should talk to a doctor and get some general tests, just a standard checkup, blood tests, and EKG. Fast heartbeat (and other heart arrhythmias) are fairly common, and often don't really mean anything, so you can at least worry less about them - though I have them too, and you have to worry about them a little, LOL.

There are "beta blocker" drugs that are very good at reducing heart rate. They often have various side-effects, but I've found I can take a really small dose of one and it helps me a lot - doctor keeps telling me to take more, but more - has more side effects, and the tiny dose works for me!

And here's something you can try on your own - chocolate! Chocolate has natural beta blockers, and the only side-effect is you get fat. But just to see, get some dark chocolate, 72% dark or more is best, 90% or higher is out there, too. Just a standard bar, and eat about 1 ounce, about 30 grams. You may get some real relief within about 30 minutes to an hour, and for twelve to twenty-four hours.

And then you can tell the doctor about it - but most doctors don't know or care about these nutritional tricks, so he'll probably just shrug.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.