getting quite worried

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ok, my husband went into hospital for routine gallbladder removal, but due to adhesions from a previous op years ago they could not perform keyhole surgery, so then went through normal route and had to cut through adhesions etc to be able to remove gallbladder. That was on the 26th May,he was given food straight away and discharged 5 days later. He was then in agony the following night when at home and I called an ambulance and they took him to a different hospital where again they performed open surgery to free the adhesions and they said there  was a blockage due to the other hospital feeding him without checking if his bowels were working. Anyway,that was 10 days ago and he has still got bile bag on and his producing a fair bit of that and now he has been put on TPN to help build him up. The problem now is he is passing liquid from the back but still no gas. Has anyone else suffered anything like this and if so what did they do to get the bowels working. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Belinda62595, I had suffer small intestine resection due to perforation and adhesion last year and it was really terrible as I was also pregnant at that time ( Bless my baby who is now in Heaven). From what I remember, my bowel movements didnt work normally till 8 days post operation and gas after 13 days ,I think , and was in TPN for like 3 weeks. I was supposed to have an ileostomy, but good Lord my stitches inside healed. I remember I did lots of walking, even I feel so weak. My bowel movement was liquid too and 4- 5 times a day. My doctor would encourage me to walk so that gas will come out, which eventually did but i took a while. Don't lose hope. The recovery is long for me. It took me 3 months to be able to eat normally again. Be with your husband and encourage him. Things will get better too. Wishing you and your husband well.

• Posted

Belinda,did they look for blockage of intestines?
    • Posted

Hello, thank you for replying. My goodness you have  had a terrible time, I hope you are ok. At the moment it is 11 days post op and 2 days on TPN. We are hoping that the Dr will do a scan to check things out. I have told him to walk around and also chew gum. Lets hope it works. Thank you again for replying and you take care.
    • Posted

Yes it was terrible but Theres always rainbow after the rain. I am gaining my weight back and trying to live as positive as possible.

Yes walking would really help a lot. Hope gas will come out soon. After the operation, I have some dietary changes eg no peanuts and less cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage as these give more gas. 

He will be ok. Let him know that he is not alone. It does take time to heal. Ill be praying for your husband. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.