getting ready for a pcnl..recovery time?

Posted , 6 users are following.

After many lithos and very bad kidney infections,and a stint in for 6 months..I am going to get a pcnl. They are doing in in 2 stages..first the tube placement and then a few days later (for some reason still unclear ) the surgery and the 2-4 day hospital stay. After reading the boards, I found a lot of info...just not much on the 2-step method. I,ve been dealing with this giant stone (4-5 cent.) since April with a 10 day hospital stay due to a life and kidney threataning infection. Ive been hospitalized 3 times with infection and pain. My doctor changed the stint 3 weeks ago and tried to remove it in the office which didnt work due to stones forming on the tube. OUCH! Has anyone had the pcnl done in the two stages? I will have the tube in my back and drainage bag on my side while dropping the grandchildren off to school. Many drawbacks??? I am just wondering what I am in for now.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had a pcnl in July in two stages.  My surgeon says it saves him time in ooerating room. Anyway I had 8 cm stone removed but they did not get it all.  I was in hospital one night and they removed the drain before I left hospital. Had some urine leakage for a few days out of the hole in back.  I had surgery on Tuesday and drove to grocery store on Saturday.  Not a bad procedure.  
    • Posted

Thank you for your input..do you mean the tube was placed before your surgery? If so,how long was the wait between the two procedures? I have had that darn stint in so long that I believe it has streched those muscles that allows one to"hold" ones self till the soonest restroom. I cant hold anything at all anymore. 59 and in depends...truelly saddened.sad

• Posted

(((((Sharon)))))   Hugs for you Sharon.  Oh my gosh, first I can't believe that they allowed you to

have a stent in for 6 months.  This is why you had the severe Infections. Why would they then try to remove it from the Dr's office?  I STRONGLY advise you to seek out a New Urologist.  

If you come home with a drainage tube You will NOT be driving, You will be at home recovering, most likely on strong Pain Medications. I'm still sitting here trying to understand Why they kept the same stent in you for 6 months??  The other reply from linda93922 said that they removed her drain before she left the hospital.  That is why she was able to drive on Saturday.  Sounds like she was lucky, however they still did not get all of the stone.  Sharon due to all the sever infections you have had, you really need to take the antibiotics, drink plenty of fluids and be sure to rest, so that your body can heal properly.  I would also drink cranberry & lemon juice together. 3 parts cranberry to 1 part lemon juice.  I sure hope you can find another urologist, at the very least to get a second opinion.  I have had kidney stones for 11 years now.  Have them in both kidneys for the last year and a half. Mine keep coming back now.  So you have my sympathy and my prayers.  Take care

and keep us posted  Best wishes to you for your surgery & recovery.

• Posted

Your insight and kind words are very welcomed and I thank you. I will have the exact dates for this treatment in 2 days.
  • Posted

I am due to see a urologist in Bristol next month with a view to pcnl for my kidney stone. I will certainly be asking him about the procedure particularly after reading your post. Hope they do mine in one stage, end of story.

Do take care and keep in touch.

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Thank you for the quick response..You are in my thoughts as well, please keep me appraised of your situation.
  • Posted

I did not have the procedure in 2 steps but I did have a nephrostomy tube/bag for a month. 

Despite stents being a thing of evil I feel like the nephrostomy bag was worse. I was in tears from it. Developed a terrible rash on my back where the bandage was to keep it in place and dreadfully sore. 

They sell cute bags and tube covers on Etsy for nephrostomy bags. If you are uncomfortable with it showing that’s an option. I wrapped my tube in cute duct tape and carried the bag in a bag so it wasn’t  showing. I picked my kids up at school and didn’t want my urine visible. 

Good luck. 

I don’t understand any urologist that would leave a stent in for more than 3 months. I feel as though based on that you may want to seek a second opinion.  Keeping a stent in longer has the risk of exactly what happened to you with stones growth on it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.