Getting ready for surgery???

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all!

I'm having my TLH on Nov 13, my birthday. My surgeon is doing less surgeries now due to taking other duties so I had a choice of 2 days before year end. I had my TRH last Nov. 

Here it is about 6 weeks prior and I'm under a lot of stress. I am a cancer survivor as are another sister, my niece, and 2 brothers with prostate cancer. One of my brothers cancer returned and radiation did not help. Not it has mestastized to bones/lungs. Now waiting to see how 2 treatments of chemo do. Another sister has found a lump. Waiting on her results. And my doctors office called on Friday that my surgeon is leaving and his last surgery date is Nov 13, my surgery date. 

I have read if you are under stress when you do surgery it may take longer to heal, more chance of setbacks....and I don't know what to do. In 2 weeks I should know what my brother faces and how my sisters tests have shown. 

My last surgery was a breeze. Stayed 1 nite in hospital, no pain, off walker in 2 weeks and healed perfectly with no problems. 

Some people are telling me to do the surgery as my doctor will be gone. Another says do it as that's what my brother would want. With Doctor leaving is This is a sign that I should do it now? I can still have my surgery with one of his colleagues. He's got good reviews too. Only setback I start over on my deductible next year and right now I owe $1200 and everything else will be paid at 100%. 

Sorry for ranting but there is so much to consider. I don't know what to do. The one thing I know is that if my brothers treatment does not work I will in no way be able to do my surgery. 

For now I'm just afraid of doing it because of all the different stressful obstacles that have come up. 

Any suggestions or something to help me decide? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Is the situation with your brother that you need to be in hand to support him when he has treatment?

I suggest that since you are happy with your surgeon and he is leaving soon that you go ahead with the surgery. The sooner it is done the sooner you will be fully mobile and able to help and the longer you delay the more difficulties you are likely to face.

Good luck with everything.

Richard

• Posted

Hi RichardKen,

The reason is that my brother is getting 2 chemo treatments then they will look at his scans to see if the chemo is helping. He's got his wife to care for him it's just the stress of waiting to see if it works or if it doesn't we will know that is it and he has no other alternatives. I'm very close to my brother it's just very stressful at this time. I'm getting a lot of anxiety

• Posted

Dear Dsilk

Thanks for explaining. I hope all works out for your brother regardless of whether or not you decide to go ahead with your surgery now

Best wishes

Richard

• Posted

Hi Dsilk05

You really are going through it just now. Situations with your family are difficult to deal with but let me ask you one question.

If any of these family members were given the opportunity of hip replacement to get rid of your pain and immobility but we're not going ahead because you were I'll and they were stressed/worried about you, what would you say to them?

There is never a good or bad time, but only a time available with the Surgeons waiting list.

Sandra x

• Posted

Hi Sandra67350,

I understand what you mean.  I'm just afraid to go through this surgery with the tremendous stress I'm feeling. I deal with anxiety and that doesn't help. If I knew already that my brothers treatment is working I for sure right now would say I'm doing my surgery. 

• Posted

Happy Birthday, yours is the same as mine; but I quite sure you will not be celebrating your 82nd, but at this point in life, I'll take what I can get and be thankful for each day.  I believe that applies to your opportunity for a hip replacement.  I too have had both hips replaced; one about 5 years ago (frontal approach) and the other about 11 months ago (conventional approach).  Both went well, as did your first one; so I'd say go for it!!!  You will be in much better condition to help your brother after getting yourself fixed.  Good luck and we'll both think of each other on Nov. 13th.  Bill, down here in Texas

• Posted

Lol thank you for the chuckle Bill. I will not be a caretaker for my brother. My stress right now is stressing whether in 2 weeks we will b told my brothers treatment isn't working and we wait until he's gone or we will be told his treatment is working and we can have him longer. 

The best of luck on your surgery. I will be thinking of you as well. 

• Posted

This is so sad, darling and I am so sorry to hear this - 

you  are the only one that can make the decision and right now this is hard .. you are so worried about your siblings and what might be the outcome of the tests in addition to your own pending surgery -

I honestly don't know what I would do ... Maybe have the surgery on November 13 - Healing will take place, no matter what ... your body will do her work - there are many ways to reduce stress and who knows, you might find something that works for you ... 

postponing until the end of the year would not diminish the anxiety , sweetheart - You might even a lot less anxious after the surgery is done ... 

go with your heart ... 

good luck -

sending you strength and clarity - all is well, no matter your decision ..

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Dear Renee

It is obviously only one that the OP can decide what to do but looking from the sidelines I cannot help thinking that having the surgery now will allow her to deal with family matters in a stronger frame of mind and to be better physically able to help.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

You said you are close to your brother, why don't you talk with him about this?

I think after you talk with your brother you will come to a firm decision and be at peace.

Anxiety is hard. Thankfully there have been only a few ties in my life where I have really experienced severe anxiety. I fully understand what you are saying about the anxiety you are feeling. Perhaps as well you could look up topics on anxiety, couldn't hurt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.