Getting rid of "friendly bacteria"

Posted , 3 users are following.

Lost much of my gut flora due to heavy antibiotic treatment,  and later went on to restore it by taking large doses of a probiotic supplement.

Unfortunately I overdid it,  and I now feel much worse than after the antibiotics.

The new guys seem to have ’moved in’ on a more permanent basis, so I tried to replace them by eating fermented vegetables.  This made the situation even worse,  and I’m not just talking about short lived stomach upsets,  but rather long term side effects that my body doesn’t seem to get used to after several months of staying away from probiotics.  

I know antibiotics is a bad option, but I don’t see any other solution here.

Any ideas for an antibiotic that might work? Speak

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

What kind of side effects are you having If you don’t mind me asking? Any bowl changes? What types? Sometimes antibiotics can cause SIBO, in which case taking more probiotics can make the issue worse.

• Posted

Thanks for replying Joe,   the side effects are mostly of a cognitive nature with things such as brain fog and fluctuations in my ability to focus etc.   By now I am very positive that it is caused by the bacteria,  for reasons that would be too lengthy to elaborate on here,  but suffice to saya that it's quite debilitating and at this Point I'm willing to risk the side effects of an antibiotic treatment in order to reset the process  and maybe later try some other probiotics at a more careful dose.      Would much appreciate any ideas for which one to go for,  there's a lot to choose from and any pointer iwould be great,  

• Posted

That would be the only thing I can think of, speak to your doctor about it, It had it happen to me and he put me on cipro and flag for 10 days, then I had to take them again only for two weeks this time, I was ok then, good luck to you.
    • Posted

That’s interesting to hear that somebody had the same thing, Wow... I read that cipro is quite a risky and strong antibiotic in terms of side effects (possible permanent neurological damage apparently), but I’ll look into it, thanks for the input!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.