getting second opinion on iol position

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have a Symfony IOL in one eye so far. I am supposed to get another one, but I made the decision to wait and find a new doctor.

Long story short, while I have good vision, I suspect my IOL is not positioned well. I think it is tilted, causing things like ghosting and a few other issues. My original surgeon, for whatever reason, would not check for this. I was baffled by my post-op care, tbh. I would mention, "Hey could you check the position of this IOL?" and he would be like, "Yeah. Looks great. See you next month." He would not dilate my eye to check.

After three months of weirdness with his doc, I asked for my patient file and made an appointment with a fairly renown surgeon who I am fortunate enough to live close to. I am seeing him soon.

My question is, Anyone out there deal with IOL tilt issues? When I go in to this appointment, what should I say to properly convey my concerns and what should I expect from the exam?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Mary, I feel your frustration. I recently had the PAN optix multi-focal implanted in my RE, and 2 months out still get ghosting, but only at near, like reading. (distance is fine)This prompted me not to have the second eye done. My surgeon claims the IOL is well centered, and does not know why the ghosting is there. i have also requested my records and will be seeing another opthamalogist late next month, in hopes of some explanation and/or remedy. In looking at my records, I wonder if the degree of axis is off & if that could be the cause.

I think the only thing we can do is go in with our records, an explanation of our problem, and ask them to examine the eye and give us their opinion. I will also ask for a copy of their exam for comparison and my own files. I will say my original surgeon is on board with my getting a second opinion, and i will be sharing that with her. She definitely has not neglected my concerns, but does not seem to know what to tell me. Perhaps I am too impatient , i just don't know.

I hope your consultation gives you some answer to resolve your issues.

• Posted

Hi Mary

Sorry to hear you are dealing with these problems.

Ghosting can be a visual side effect from premium lenses, but off course you should seek another opinion from a different eye doctor, it should be fairly easy for the doctor to see, if the lens is seated properly.

Are you sure it is not the "normal" side effects you are dealing with?

• Posted

im so happy you have chosen to seek another opinion. i too, had ghosting images, with little examination or explanation.

i sought two other opinions, and yes the lens was tilted (hate to say this but it happened twice in one eye from original dr who did an exchange, with worse results--second surgery the haptic was left out of the bag---because i believed him when he said he could fix it)

once i had the 3rd surgery / second exchange in right eye, all ghosting disappeared, 6 months later i exchanged the left eye and have as close to 20/20 vision as i can get---really happy with the results

the mistake was found once the eye was dilated

if your gut tells you something isn't right, go with that instinct and find another dr and one that has lots of experience with your exact problem. especially one with experience exchanging lenses!!

i was told they may be able to tilt the lens back into place, but the original dr used the wrong type lens for my specific needs and chose to exchange the lenses as my cost

i now have restor 3.0 multifocal and multifocal toric lenses exchanged from the 2.5 version that only have intermediate and distance ...the 3.0 gives near and distance ( intermediate isnt too bad, but if you worked at a computer all day it may not be your first choice)

• Posted

julielyn, so you,ve had a multifocal lense replaced with another multifoca? I was told they couldn't exchange for another multifocal, only a monovision! how did you go about finding a doctor experienced in exchanges? is there a specialty to look for?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.