Getting the bladder back to normal after a catheter

Posted , 22 users are following.

How do you prepare the bladder for storing a average amount of urine after wearing a catheter for many weeks? At present I can only manage 1/3 to 1/2 the average. Not too good for traveling, going to theatre, shopping etc.

3 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have searched the web. I find I have a Foley indwelling catheter. The only exercises I can find are the Kegel Pelvic Floor Exercises. They concentrate on closing the sphincter firmly to prevent incontinence. My problem is the opposite. How do I open the sphincter so I can pee? I found one article which might come near my problem. It suggested nerve damage. That can stop the sphincter receiving the needed commands. It may send the pain signals which are really spurious.

Unexpectedly I have no pain when the catheter is pushed in past the sphincter nor when pulled out through the sphincter. That suggest to me the sphincter is not at all tender.

I should be glad of comments on my research. I really appreciate all the help you have given me so far. Very many thanks for that.

• Posted

you need to get that foley indwelling catheter in it will help you a real lot you will not know what has hit you
    • Posted

Hi it's Deb again. Sorry I've bee off the site for a few days. Back to the inital issue. You has that you are having problems urinating. Now if I remember right you said that you had a problem with your prostate. If this is correct then you will not be able to "fix" this doing any exercise. You prostate is most likely preventing you from voiding hence the need for your catheter. Once the doctor has corrected that issue you should be able to void again with no issues. When it is time to remove the foley they (nurses) can help your bladder remember what to do by clamping of the tube leading to the bag for like 15 minutes to being. It reminds the bladder what it feels like to have urine it. If you are still having problems after voiding after the foley comes out there is medicine to assist with that. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.
    • Posted

Thank you Debbie.

Yes the prostate problem is cancer and I had 7.5 weeks of radiotherapy. The difficulty in urinating and the agony started early in the course of therapy.

So there is no preparatory stuff I need to do. Just wait for the six week review at the end of this month. The Macmillan nurse will have a routine to follow.

• Posted

What are the exercise to help weak bladder
    • Posted

Essentially clenching the muscles from anus to penis. Start with a few times and hold for a few seconds. Each week increase the times and hold for a little longer. No momentary relaxing when you should be clenching. By the end clenching for 20 seconds was no trouble. I needed the exercise after the catheter was finally removed. The urgency was very short to start with and it took a long time to lengthen the period between first call and relief.

I used an app on my iPad. The app was designed by a doctor and I stuck to it through all nine levels. He calls out the time and what you should do. It is simple and effective. It is exactly the same set of exercises use by ladies.

I hope my comment helps. I recommend doing the exercises in a thorough way.  

• Posted

I suffer from IC. Its a miserable disease. I hope you are feeling better now.
  • Posted

Is it normal to have to urinate several times in an hour?
  • Posted

you can buy a strap on from amazon it fits around you vital bits and catch any leakage not sure how effective they are but there a good idea the urine goes into another bag a step

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.