Getting the correct treatment and hospitalisation.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Was reading the messages about avoiding suicide and I must admit ive been having idealisation over it by taking a handful of pills but I know it's not the answer to a "temporary" illness yet I find the system only kicks in when an attempt is made after which you'd be lucky yo get a hospital bed and proper care in my view, can you request to be admitted or do you have to attempt or threaten? 

I had an appointment last week as an urgent referral to mental health team and was yet again just assessed rather than be seen by a psychiatrist (triage) and was told that i should only ring the crisis line when I had planned and was going to commit suicide... Now then forgive me if I'm way off the mark but if someone has gone to the trouble of planning, is ready then the decision is made and I doubt that person will then think about picking up the phone... I was sooooo annoyed and felt that the person I was being assssed by had no idea what folk go through with depression and anxiety. Suffice it to say I am going to be seen by the consultant but was told he would be on holiday and it will be back end Jan (22nd). 

Its all wrong isn't it. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes it is all wrong. Last time I was feeling suicidal and most at the point of no return I went to A&E and had to wait for 5 hrs before anyone saw me. All that happened is that I was given 2 Valium pills and sent home. I think it's disgusting the way we are treated by the NHS it just makes me feel that they think we are making all this up and waiting there time and also the so called phyciatrist that saw at the hostpital was very rude and ubrubt to me and made me feel ten times worse. I think that all we can do is just try are best to get through this and hope it will pass very soon. I'm feeling like it at the moment myself but I know it don't last do please try and hang on in there it's hard but it can be done 
    • Posted

It will pass ! U will get better ! When I was in a & e their was a man and I heard him telling the nurse how he had drank a lot and took a lot of meds. He had a history of suicide attempts. He was ask to sit in the corridor where he stopped for hours and wasn't checked on at all
  • Posted

What would make you feel better about yourself and your situation Aspinan?

You dont need to Hurt yourself to be listened to..please dont take anymore tablets.

Please keep yourself safe

Jo 

• Posted

Hi all, reading this makes me absolutely livid, it is disgusting, disgraceful, deplorable and unforgivable...... I have three sons with mental healthproblems, I have been sectioned four times for alcohol abuse ( I was not coping well at the time ) I was always treated very well, almost like an. Old friend...

However, when I was admitted into hospital after taking an overdose..my.goodness, what a difference... I was totally ignored by all of the nursing. Staff. It was awful, the doctors were lovely to me ,very kind, and the staff in casualty were, it was just on the wards, I could have cried all day and night...

When people are desperate they need understanding and kindness, I cannot believe how callous hospital staff can be.. we are very, very fortunate in as such as we have an amazing mental health clinic very close to where we live, in fact it is just down the road which is great as one of our sons was sectioned for four months..... no-one would EVER CHOOSE TO HAVE PROBLEMS...so all of us should be treated with the utmost kindness and care, depression, psychosis, and all problems are very real to the person who is suffering... we also here have an amazing crisis team who come in twice a day for months at a time... we really need to alter many people's perception of this illness, IT STILL KILLS MANY YOUNG AND OLD ALIKE and suicide is devastating!!! For those left behind, I give you all great big hugs xx

• Posted

Some people don't understand and to be honest it is hard to unless you have experienced it. Its not feeling down its been crippled and not able to live through it. People also need to help themselves as its a tough ride out of the black fog but it should always pass with a doctors help. If I carried on any longer how I was I think I would of wanted to end it but thankfully its getting better and iv everything to live for. Nothing to be depressed about at all, just a illness that strikes at times
  • Posted

To be honest, even if you have depression and it feels like the apocalypse is coming down on you hard, it's often chemical. I would not advocate suicide, it's a messy business and most methods have a way of going horribly wrong and leaving you paralysed and/or brain damaged. Pills aren't generally taken seriously because they don't work. You'll end up in a hospital bed with a tube up your urethra. Not a pretty sight and dignity gone. I know how slow the NHS is, I recommend you look into meditation, mindfulness or even medication. You have many other, dignified options. I've found computer games help. Also I'm now designing T-shirts and looking into screen printing. If you want the advice from someone who's been through this 20 lifetimes over here's what I found: Meditation, Getting a job and bearing with it and maybe even paying therapy costs. I recommend CBT: Look for a therapist who charges around£ 40-60 per hour. Here's a list of really helpful stuff: Yoga/stretching, getting a job (sense of purpose increased=self-esteem and potential friends, spending time around animals (they don't think like we do, they are generally much happier and focus on the simple things in life), use a gym (I've been using my cousin's gym, mainly doing cardiovascular fitness exercises ie endurance exercise (proven as effective as a course of antidepressants) for a set time on a tred mill/running machine/rowing machine,warm baths/going for massages (Relieves muscle tension)

Realise that someone, somewhere has experienced almost exactly the life events you have and suceeded. This is a small fraction of ideas taken from a massive array of ideas I've had and used. This may or may not help, but hopefully it demonstrates the fact that you have options. Probability dictates that someone, somewhere has experienced/ is experiencing exactly what you are and has got through it and is now happy.

• Posted

Hi I have to disagree with you on some of your points... many pills can be, and quite often are fatal or cause permanent damage, liver failure ect.. when you feel really at your lowest point, you really, really do want to die,,, train suicides and the like.. people feel that all hope is lost, and can not imagine a future, and do not want to.... black, spiralling holes are at the time impossible to claw your way out of.... overdoses are taken very. Seriously, as they should be .... it is the number one method of taking. Your own life..

Even when it is just a cry for help, it should be heard, you can never imagine feeling normal again. And just every day life is terrifying.. people canand do recover, but my goodness it can be a very long haul, for the rest. Of their loved ones also, I wish you all the very best, take care all on here. Regards. Deirdre xx

• Posted

Feeling ul never be better ! Classic and its awful. I'm getting there now but 2months of hell and still I'm not normal but I'm level x 
  • Posted

It breaks my heart. It really does.

People are crying out for help and reassurance and all they find is doors slammed in there faces. As if we don't feel lost,scared and isolated enough...we are then made to feel like we are totally alone!!!

I think people wouldn't feel half as bad or there anxiety/depression wouldn't escalate to the heights it does if when they first ask for help,they where given real,consistent support and reassurances.

So many of us have gone to the places where we feel we will receive the correct help and left after being made to feel we where wasting valuable time and resources. Is it any wonder that the majority of us fall deeper into despair.

My friend was admitted a few weeks ago but only to cover there own backs as between her doctor and the hospital they had really messed up with her treatment and medication.......She had been crying out for help for months and pushed from pillar to post with no real help or support.....just more medication thrown at her and sent on her way to deal with it.

Im tired of being made to feel like a silly little girl,like how I'm feeling isn't important,like "it really can't be that bad"!!!!

We are frightened,tired and lost.........why don't they see? 

Would any person who wasn't desperate choose to go to the hospital and ask for help because I know I wouldn't. Asking for and accepting help is so far from my normal nature. I'm independent,confident and fun. So why would they think that I would even entertain the idea of hospitalisation if I wasn't pretty sure I needed help.

I am slowly getting well but it's been a long long road...I still have days where I feel I will never be totally how I was again!!! That is not my normal thinking pattern at all. Normally I'd know for sure I could get through anything.

Ine things for sure. If/when I recover it won't be because I had the best help or because I was supported by the people who could of helped. I will of got through this by my own strength and the help of people like you guys who had had to turn to when I had nobody else and I was scared.

• Posted

It is wrong and I know exactly how you feel. I felt suicidal for a while and I kept telling the crisis team, doctors etc but they did nothing. I overdosed on my medication (evidentially not enough to do anything), waited 1hr20 minutes for an ambulance after my housemate called 111, then was in a&e for 9 hours where after regular check ups to make sure everything was okay I was assessed by the mental health team where I was discharged with a piece of paper of 'crisis survival tips' and a reminder to call the crisis team if I feel bad again. Not sure about you but whenever I call the crisis team all I'm asked is 'what normally helps' or 'what can you do to distract yourself'

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.