Getting tired to be home - it’s now 4 weeks since my tkr surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Done my surgery on 19th of July 2019 my recovery has been very good since but now I seem to be going back instead of forward I have been having more pain and extreme stiffness especially at night. In two weeks I got a range of 90 degrees and the swelling has reduced significantly. I don’t know if anyone has that problem where they get really stiff at night and can’t sleep I should be back at work six weeks i’m not sure if that is going to happen based on how I’m feeling.I started to wear a brace I don’t know if that’s a good idea someone could tell me if they think I should wear a brace for strenght and balance overall I think I’m not doing very badly but we tend to get impatient I havent been home for so long I’m not used to that so I Am getting depressed .thanks for everyone’s thoughts that really encourages me not to get too impatient.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I had my TKR on 5-7-19. I still have difficulty at night - this is normal.

Do not wear a brace!!! Do not do anything unless your surgeon or physio tells you too!!!! That is really bad idea.

This is a major op and it takes a lot of time to heal. You sound like you are on track, and if you are not back at work in 6 weeks, so be it - the doctor will sign you off longer. My first TKR on my other knee I was off 10 weeks. This one , who know - just take it a day at a time.

try not to let it get you down - use this time to pamper yourself, read books you never have time too, take short walks in the good weather and relax.

But seriously - leave the brace a lone - could cause more harm than good.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your advice I will put the brace away .

I really wasn't sure it would be helpful . I am also so thankful for your encouragement we all need it because all we are on the same journey and it’s very helpful to hear from each other because sometimes we think we are the only one having these experiences

I hope you will recover soon

Triphene

• Posted

Absolutely - this forum is really helpful for just that.

I had my other knee done 2 years ago, and wish I had kept a journal then, so I could look back, and I find myself always thinking "last time this happened faster", or something and it messes with my mind. When its probably taking the same amount of time to progress. After about the fourth or fifth week, I find the progress really starts upping itself, and you soon get to where you can at least be a bit more comfortable and independent.

Once this is behind you, it will seem like everything happened really quickly. But not when you are going through it.

But hang in there !!! And post here whenever you have any doubts or questions or just need a boost.

x

• Posted

hi, I am 8 weeks out on tkr and am at 121, still having pain and hard to sleep at night. This is a long road,be patient and DO YOUR EXERCISES! it hurts but will get you to recovery. Ice at night and use heat in the morning to loosen your leg.I would not use a brace! you need the motion to recover.Im not a doctor but I bet they would say no.You will build scar tissue around the knee and not be able to get the movement on your knee you need. try as pillow between your legs at night and get under pain control to stay ahead of it. Time, patience, and walking/excercises , rest are your best recovery!! Good Luck, stay positive! it will get better.

• Posted

Thank you so much Denise, I am taking your advice.I am glad I did ask you guys about the knee brace I was not sure if it was a good idea We need to learn to exercise patience Knowing that this is a process and it takes time. I am wishing you a speedy recovery and that you will get back to work soon God bless

• Posted

Hi I had my RTKR 29-4-19 and today was my second day back at work after 13 weeks off.. Don't rush it we've had a nasty operation and it takes a year to heel properly. I found the first 6 weeks the hardest but after that day by day I'm able to do more and more and on days I feel I'm not progressing I just look back at what I couldn't do and what I can do now.. I struggled to sleep at first as knee became so heavy and stiff this is normal... I spent a few nights in the recliner as it was more comfortable... Sleep where you comfortable.. Or I'd get up and move around a bit to lessen the stiffness.. Take your pain meds regularly, ice and elevate and be patient(I found this hard).. Listen to your knee it will let you know when you've overdone it.. Good luck..

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice . It was very helpful. I hope you will fully recover soon.Your encouragement means so much to me.

God bless

• Posted

Your very welcome and coming on here and sharing with other people helps. We're on this long journey and one day at a time we improve.

• Posted

im 18 weeks post op and i too still have pain at night. Every time i go to straighten my leg it hurts.

whilst walking it feels as if i have something sticking in my knee on the outside edge. i have been told its all to do with the healing. it hurts more than before the op.

• Posted

That pain on the outside sounds like the Iliotibial band. It's a common problem after TKR. I have it. You can google stretches to help.

• Posted

I to get a pain on the outside of my knee but didn't realize what it was.. So thank you for enlightening me.. When I get it I take a couple of paracetamol which seems to help... But will now look at exercises I can do.

• Posted

I have a stripe of numbness up the outside from my knee to my hip; PT says it's the IT band and that if it's not numb it can be really painful! It probably still needs exercise though. What have you found to do?

• Posted

One is to stand sideways to a wall with the affected side nearest the wall. Put your hand on the wall, tuck the foot of the affected leg behind and round the other foot and push your hip towards the wall so the whole of the affected side is curved like a banana . Hold for 30 seconds x 3.

Another is to lie flat on your back arms out to the side at chest height, lift your leg so the knee is directly above the hip, lower leg at right angle parallel to floor. Take the knee across to the other side of the body towards the floor and push down on the lower thigh with the hand to stretch out the hip. Hold for 20 to 30 seconds x 3.

You can also massage the whole area with your fist or a tennis ball. Find the area that hurts, massage as hard as you can and you should feel the pressure ease. If it hurts more don't do it.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing MarionI feel you . I hope you feel better soon This is a long journey we are taking together.

God bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.