Getting to the end of my teather!

Posted , 5 users are following.

So a cold with MD is pretty crap! Had a heavy cold for a week or so abd for the past week have had constant dizzy feeling, totally off balance, feeling of being pulled to the left (MD in right ear currently) and general feeling of fog. Im in 3 x 16mg betahistine and have been for a long time, low salt diet, no caffeine and loads of water being consumed and its just not letting up! Anyone else get this after a cold? Can i uo my betahistine and is that advisable? Please help 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Colds/allergies play a big part in MD flairups and many of us suffer MD episodes during and after bad colds and during allergy seasons.  Sounds like this is what happened to you.  My suggestions are:

1.  increase Betahistine to 16mg/4X/day for at least a few days and see what happens

2.  use a salt water nasal flush to pull out any cold virus/allergens in your nasal/sinus passages

3.  Use a nasal inhaler antihistamine + a steroid nasal inhaler such as Flonase.  Do NOT use ORAL antihistamine since you take Betahistine.

4.  See your ENT asap for their diagnosis and inquire about intratympanic steroid injections into the MD ear which can reduce inflammation and fluid retention in inner ear and provide relief.  GOOD LUCK! 

• Posted

Thanks tanney, I did increase my betahistine to 4 tablets yesterday as it’s been so bad. Just had a bad spin out but not full blown attack, ear feels less full and tinnitus is quiet for the first time in two weeks. Something has moved! Just a days respite would be nice as it’s my wedding anniversary tomorrow and this has been constant! Thanks for the advice. 
  • Posted

You can increase your betahistine - but remember it takes a month to become fully effective. When over your cold and back to 'normal' if you MD symptoms are not fully controlled then increase the betahistine dose to a level where they are and stay on that higher dose for 5 to 6 months. If you are then fully controlled you should be able to slowly wean off.

• Posted

Thanks Neddy, I’ll increase and see if it helps. Got my next ENT appointment in a month. This has been going on for 4 years but never as constant as this 
  • Posted

I hear you. (Barely, even with my aids turned up lol) I just had 2 weeks of the worst head cold, which really messed me up. Constant fog and more daily dizzy than usual. Totally sucks.

You WILL come out the other side and get back to your "normal". It just takes a little longer with MD. I've got lingering increased dizziness but am finally feeling among the living again. You'll come around...hang in there!!!

Take good care, you're doing everything right!

~Mary

• Posted

Thanks Mary, it reduced me to tears yesterday and today. Not being able to do the simplest tasks. Always worse mid afternoon and evening as well isn’t it. I just had like half an attack and the betahistine must have kicked in as my ear now feels a little clearer for the first time in weeks! Praying for normality, whatever that is lol 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.