Getting used to Cocodamol 30/500

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all smile

I have posted in the arthritis section before but not in here.  I have severe arthritis of hip, knee and spine.  The spine bit is the worst because I get pinched nerves which cause me a lot of pain.  I am unable to take anti-inflammatories due to other health problems so I get cocodamol.  My GP has just increased this to 30/500.  I'm just hoping that the sick, dizzy side effects will go away once I get used to the higher dose and I wonder if anyone has had experience of this.  I have Movicol and Lactulose to deal with the *other* side effects.  Can someone please reassure me that I will become accustomed and not feel sick and dizzy for ever.  Thanks smile

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello. When I first started taking Cocodamol I felt sick and a bit woozy but after my body became accustomed to them I was ok. I take codeine on it's own now with just the occasional paracetamol. Hope that helps.
    • Posted

Yes, it does.  Thank you.  I got used to the lower dosage so I was hoping that I would get used to this new prescription as it helps so much better with the pain.
    • Posted

Good. As long as it's helping. Take care.
  • Posted

The nausea and dizziness will subside quite quickly, but you'll still get a 'hit' from it in the form of a relaxed and euphoric sensation which is why users become addicted, so try to take it only when the pain is really unbearable.

You may find that you have to increase the laxatives quite substantially, there's no doubt that codeine plays havoc with the whole of the digestive system.

• Posted

Thanks Roz.  I have diverticular disease too, so my digestive system needs all the help it can get at the best of times lol.  I can usually manage it with diet alone but not with the cocodamol too.
  • Posted

Hi there

I got used to it really quickly but didn't find the Movicol helped, using instead Andrews Salts.  I was on it for quite a long time and got addicted  so as someone else said, do be carfeul.  It caused me all sorts of problems in the end, including IBS, and the withdrawal effects once one becomes dependent on it are most un pleasant.  JUst use it when the pain is bad and you'll probably be OK.

xxxxx

• Posted

Thanks.  I'll be careful.  I just take paracetamol when the pain isn't too bad.  My mum was addicted to Codydramol (sp?)
    • Posted

Hi Lizzie,

Whilst on co-codamol, I too was diagnosed with IBS. Not a single medic suggested it could be the pills and I spent almost 3 years on various restricted diets to try and control symptoms. It wasn't until I saw a colorectal consultant last Decemeber that I found out it was almost certainly cocodamol causing my digestive/bowel probs. As a consequence, I stopped taking it and, although I got all the withdrawal symptoms, they were worth it as my 'IBS' started to improve almost immediately. Two months on though, I do still have some bowel issues and I'd be grateful if you could tell me how long it took for yours to clear up completely - if indeed they did.

• Posted

Hi

Yes, my bowel problems eased quite quickly after I'd got through the diarrhea caused by codeine withdrawal.  I still get the occasional bad day, but there is usually a cause to that, ie: too much alchohol or fat.  I find the codeine has sensitised my reactions a bit but so long as I am sensible all is well.  I wouldn't go back on the codeine for anything, I feel so much better qwithout it.  I was on it for headaches but they became rebound headaches and now that I've managed to get away from them my headaches are much much better, just using occasional paravetamol and lots of water to drink.  I came off the codeine in November, withdrawal lasted three to four weeks and I've been mostly well since then.

Hope that helps and well doen for kicking the co-co

xxx

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

Thanks very much for your reply, it's much appreciated.

I think you're probably right in saying that the codeine over-sensitises the digestive system and I expect it will take a while to go completely back to normal.This afternoon, I read a post from a female member on a US forum saying that it was about 6 months after withdrawal that her system finally got going properly again. I'm taking apple cider vinegar daily now and that seems to have speeded recovery up a bit.

Glad to know you're coping and feeling better and well done to you too for staying off the drug!

Roz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.