Getting your brain back?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im wondering if after i am completely off of Gabapentin will my brain get back to normal? Also my eyes?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I took my last part of a Gaba , broke down 100 mg to 1/4 on Nov 17, 17. , my eyes seem to be okay last  2 weeks.  I still have short-term memory problems. But every now and then my brain works well. I think it is just time until your brain heals completely. Neurons have been fried by  Gaba like a bad burn on your arm From what I have learned.
    • Posted

did you live memory problems after quiting gabapentin ? I quitted my gabapentin 40 days ago. My shorterm memory is more bad now I cant remember what I ate yesterday. Reading is hard to understand. I have to read 2 times and more concantrated to understand .

do you live somethings like that ? thanks

• Posted

Yes I have been off 16 mos now

, took Gaba for close to 10 yrs My brain and eyes would get better for a day or so then go bad again. I just had a whole week so far of clear brain. It can take time, but you will heal . Hang in there it will be okayMary

• Posted

Yes....It takes time. It could even take up to a year is what I'm hearing.   But yes things get better. You need to give your  Brain time to adjust. 

• Posted

Thank you Rita I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share.
  • Posted

I'm pretty much back to my old self.. Iv'e been off the stuff about a month now, I still have an occasional "bad day". My oldest daughter was on it for migraines and she went off  it months ago. She still complains of little withdrawal problems every now and then, and she says there not much.. My biggest problem still is my tinnitus  being elevated and the pitch changing in my ears.. It's kind of weird, but it seems to be subsiding also... It's apparently different for everyone but from what I have gathered you should  shake it off eventually ... Hang in there!!!

• Posted

Yes, withdrawals can last some time. 2.5 months off for me, good days recently! And then today not so good day today, all symptoms back, bad. Left work early. 

Gabapentin is a powerful drug, it sure does mess with our brain. I thought surely I’m over the worst at 2.5 months off, and then having this bad day today. Stumps me. 

My neurologist prescribed it for nerve pain and when I felt side effects he said I could just stop since low dose. It’s been 2.5 months of withdrawals, ..

Next time I see him think I’ll mention that this drug causes issues - on it, and going off. 

And im reminding myself today.....there will be more and more good days, and we will heal. 💜

• Posted

That’s what I hear, how long have you been off, Rita, and how are you feeling now?
    • Posted

Hi. I believe this October it will be 2 years. The doctors say I have vestibular migraines but I have my doubts.... was on depokoe....verapamil......gabapentin and did absolutely nothing for me.   Been off of everything for awhile now.....went to see another neurologist and they wanted to put me on topamax...... I said no.......going to see the neurologist I originally started with in May. Can’t get an appt till then.... was also told to go back to see the neurologist ent.......still getting dizzy.  Had this for 40 years.... but it didn’t affect me like it has these past 3 years.......have no idea what to think.  
    • Posted

Dizziness is my major symptom, ugh. 

2 years off for you, wow! Thank you so much for posting and sharing your strength, it reminds me that we can get through this. 

Prayers that your May appointment will go well and you will get relief.  Thank you again.. Blessings to you

• Posted

Thank you....just want it to go away like we all do.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.