Getting Your Life Back after TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well today felt fairly momentous. I drove for the first time.  Didn't go too far and it was fine.  I had no idea how knee replacement would affect me in so many ways.   It feels like a huge journey and it's only been seven weeks so far.   I foolishly thought that I would go in, have the op, come out do a few exercises and get over the op and be back to 'normal'.   I'm walking well, no real sign of limp but I'm walking so slowly (slow snails pace!).   I think a huge amount of positive mental attitude and determination is needed to get back to living life. I don't think I will be the same person again as I know my fitness levels will improve and I will continue to make exercise a huge part of my life.  I don't think I will ever take anything for granted again!  And I certainly look at people with walking canes etc.in a different way - you just never know what people are going through.   Who else feels this is life changing in more ways than one?  

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey Jane, RTKR JUNE 2014, LTKR SEPT 2014, about a year of 3 day a week PT and walking every day. Definitely appreciated being able to walk again, no running and definitely no skiing anymore, been a long time. RTHR July 2016 almost back to where I was a year ago. Now I really appreciate being able to walk!! Hopefully I'm done. Keep up the exercise, lifetime maintenance for new knees.

• Posted

Goodness you have certainly been through it Dave. Wishing you health and happiness for 2017 🙂

• Posted

Hi Jane!

Totally can relate to your post!

I was REALLY GLAD to find this site last year because people here who had gone through knee replacements helped me tremendously!

The best advice I got was to listen to my body and BE PATIENT!

Wishing you much success as you continue your recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.