GF and use toilet once a day, but often have to suddenly rush there

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed coeliac 7 months ago and have been strictly GF since. I had no external symptoms and had no bowel/toilet issues. Since being GF (and feeling fantastic) I still move my bowels once a day. But pre-GF I'd realise "oh yeah, might be a good idea to go to the toilet" but there was never any urgency: I could wait for a suitable opportunity. Since going GF, quite often I realise I need the toilet and I need it NOW. My stools will be normal and it's not because I've had some gluten. Sometimes it seems to be just after I've had a coffee. What I worry about is I've got some work coming up where I won't be able to just use a toilet when I want to. Is what I describe something that will subside as my GF diet continues, should I stop drinking coffee, is there some particular gluten subsitiute ingredient that does this, etc? Is there anyone else who has/had this who can help me. I am really worried about leading a group (I do some guiding work) or talking to a room full of several hundred people and realising "Oh hell, I need to go NOW, but I can't". This is the only worry I have since going GF, everything else has been no problem. It's sapping my confidence, I must admit. Thanks

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm in a similar boat where I've recently diagnosed with coeliac and had no bowel symptoms before however post going gf I had 2 episodes where I experienced the same and had to rush to the toilet. I didn't really get to the bottom of the cause but thought I may have inadvertently consumed gluten maybe cross contamination or something in my diet disagreeing with me. I think it would be wise to ensure a tried and tested diet on your big days and reduce the level of coffee. Also looking online there is 'a small study in 1990 found that 29% of people reported that they poop after drinking coffee, and people who reported this also had increased movement in the distal colon (the last part of the colon) for at least 30 minutes after they drank coffee'. You may fall into that category and may be an idea to consume your coffee well before or after. Best of luck

• Posted

Many thanks for that, much appreciated. All my incidents have been at home (with a tried and tested diet), and my wife is also GF, so I know it's not cross-contamination in my case. I only drink one cup of coffee a day, so I think I'll give that up for a while and see what happens! I absolutely am going to be paranoid about what I eat when I'm out and about working. Sigh. I used to be able to eat anything before my diagnosis last summer...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.