gfr and breath

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all just an update been to docs today as been short of breath for about 4 weeks now been worse this week blood pressure still sky high 174/80  and thats with taking 20mg per day amoldipine and ramipril  10 of each dr wasent happy with this and rang my neph and now ive got a third tablet bisoprolol 2.5mg bit worried as this is usally given for heart failure and shortness of breath is one of the signs  i really hope this extra tablet works ive had to take the night of from work tonight as i feel that crap  this shortness of breath has really got me worried dr didnt think there was any fluid on my lungs she also sent me for a chest xray  im worried about this as well as i was a smoker for 37yrs and only been off them now for three weeks  still waiting for notification of biopsy but dr phoned and said there going to want me to go in soon to get bloods and bp done at hospital asap possibly next week  even though i havent been told whats wrong apart from kidneys not working properely amd hbp  neph  has kept telling me dont worry think we can control this but she doesent know what problem is yet  thats why getting biopsy they cannot even get my bp down  the way she was talking ithought my egfr was in the 50s but found out at the doctors that two weeks ago it was only 31  this is really scareing me now  earlier this week i saw a nurse practioner about the shortness of breath and she wasnt listing to me when i mentioned about having kidney trouble and said its a chance that it could be copd due to smoking and wants me to have a spirograph done  think i will wait on that one for now  dr ordered bloods this morning as well when i went to get them done nurse told me these were being done as matter of urgency  a very scary and worrying time  as ive said previousley im by my self so dont really have much support or anyone to talk to about it so i think this site is really good for people by thereselves my sister and brother in law dont live too far away and i speak to them and my brother in law runs me to hospital and back and hes not well himself but dont like to bother them to much  as they have there own busy lives has anyone on here taking bisoprolol and if so is it any good   thanks all

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ian,

Sounds a bit like me, but I have been diagnosed with COPD for a few years now, it's terrible, can't do much, I have also found out I have got shrunken kidneys

But not being able to breathe properly is the worst thing.

I am continually breathless, however I am trying the ,Buteyko breathing retraining now, because I did not find any relief with all the different Inhalers, and I have tried able to of different ones

I wish you good luck Ian.

I am in Australia, a blend I am retired..

• Posted

thanks for your reply  its a worring time obviousley dont know whats causing it at the moment just have to await blood tests and xray but this with the kidney problems is getting me down im a worrier to start with at the docs again tues supposed to have spirograph on weds but bit worried getting it done until other things have been ruled out
  • Posted

Hello,

If your GFR is in the 30's then your iron levels or red blood count could be low.  This happens in people who's kidneys are not working too well as a lot of things are controlled by our kindneys.  I can't believe a nursh has hap hazzardly told you  that you could have COPD without even carrying out any tests way to go! Its a simple test for COPD (My mother in law has it) it is as simple as a sample of your spit being sent of for analysis.  If you are worried about this ask for the test to have it either diagnosed or ruled out, no wonder you are terrified everyone wading in without any hard evidence to base their statements on.  Ask for this test, ask for your iron and HB cound to be done.  If it is low you can have iron tablets (if these don't work in 3 months they won't) then you have an infusion job done, you may need EPO with this but blood tests will show you this.  Ask for the above and take it from there, then you will have your biopsy soon which I know you are not loving the idea of but it will soon be done and out of the way.  Then and only then should you be told things can be managed.  My BP was high for a while and it was trial and error which drugs worked, you will have to keep going until you find a combination that works.  This is a worrying time for you and it is an uncertain time as you under go tests but things will hopefully settle down a bit once you know what you are dealing with. Breathlessness is part of our thing but if you are worried get tested for all you can.  I do worry about you and your fretting by I completley understand what you are going through and so do a lot of others on here.  You are amoung friends and we support each other so keep going x

• Posted

thanks for the support helen means so much my gp rang me this morning at 8.30 with results from my bloods whichwere taken on friday  she said she was very concerened as showing that theres worsening  said my urea has gone up cant remember the number my createane has gone up from 160 to 198 in 3 weeks and my gfr is now 31 apparently was in high 40s in jan ive got to go back accross again in the morning to have bloods done again  ive asked her to check my iron levels with these   shes going to chase up hospital about biopsy   my neph has previousley said we can manage this  but dont belive her now she cant even get my bp down and i dont know how she can say this when by her own admission she doesnt know the cause yet   thanks again for the support
    • Posted

Hello,

I completely agree with you, how can someone control something that they are not sure of the cause, I was lucky they didn't know the cause of my issues to start but they never made me any promises only to keep a close eye and look after me whatever was thrown into the mix and to their credit they always have.  Ok don't panic regarding your creatinine while it has gone up its not in the relms of being high mine has been 680 at worst and I have known of people with 2000 plus, so yes it has risen but do not panic about this.  When your GFR drops your creatinine rises, this could be due to a number of things, you have been recently introduce to 3 different bp meds, some bp meds effect your GFR believe it or not - Mrs O will verify this if she is watching.  So it is worth asking if this could be the cause.  You need to find which is the cause Amlodapine is the least likely one to be the cause, could possibly be the ramipril they tried to give me this once but I refused it.  I can't remember what you said the other one was?  candisartain was very good at getting my bp down but it made my potassium go dangerously high, this doesn't happen in everyone but I had weekly bloods to see if this happened and when it did they stopped it.  I ended up on amlodapine and moxonodine, both worked for me but again we are all different that is why you can try as many as you can an there are loads so that you find the right ones for you.  You do need to get it down though as you know as anything over 135 isn't good and that figure is pushing it.  When you get your bloods done just mention that you know bp meds can effect GFR and could this be the cause, if your bloods are worse again this is more than likely the cause but that is from personal experience and my neph and not me claiming to be a dr or know it all by any means.  You are getting the right care at the moment and you have asked for iron to be checked, they are chaising up your biopsy so you are going in the right direction, you could also feel crappy and have thoses symptoms as your bp is so high everything is linked and its a pain i the bum.  Go for your tests and wait for the results your bp isnt being helped by the fact you are panicking quite understandable too. Let me know how you get on please and if you need anything let me know with on here or pm ok chin up you will get there promise smile

• Posted

thanks a lot helen will mention the bp meds when i see my neph

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.