GFR and no Protein with slight swelling

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello to all. Thank you for your time. I have a gfr of 65 and no protein in my urine. The albumin : creatinine ratio could not be completed because the albumin was so low. I have had slight swelling in my ankles 3 times in the last few months. Late in the day. Goes away when feet are elevated. My question is when do symptoms usually present with declining kidney function? This is my only symptom and it has only happened three times. I guess I would be considered CKD2 with a gfr of 65 with no issues with my urine. I otherwise feel great. Fit 46 year old male.What are your thoughts on my numbers and likelihood of progression. Many thanks to you for your time and care. Is the swelling likely from another cause. I am Hypersensitive about this and have been checking myself for swelling way to much.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Many poeple do not have a GFR of 100%.  At the level you are, you are absulutely fine. Also lots of peoples's ankles swell a bit, particularly in the heat.  Some medications can cause swelling, eg. some blood pressure medication. Very many people who are at Stage 3 do not progress any further.  GFR does decline naturally with age.  I'd say that you are very healthy. If you are still worried, get your GFR checked again in 6 months time.  But worry is worse for your body.

• Posted

Thank you 3LynQ for taking the time. So with my gfr of 65, swelling would not be a symptom of ckd as my kidney function is in the normal range. Would this be accurate? Thanks to all for your thoughts on this. Again, no protein in urine. Gfr 65. Intermittent swelling in ankle area. Very slight. Thanks again.
    • Posted

I really don't think you neewd to worry overly.  I am not a doctor though. I doubt that your kidneys are causingthe swollen ankles as your GFR is high.  Most people don't have symptoms until they are around Stage 3b

• Posted

Hello 3LynQ,

Thank you very much for your responses and your support. Going through a tough time. This is all new to me. I have had 5 days to absorb your last reply and would like your thoughts one more time. So, typically, with a gfr that is normal and with no albumin in my urine, any swelling would not be kidney related. I have had no swelling lately and my lab numbers are all normal. And, as you mentioned, symptoms would not usually present until the gfr dropped into the 40s or low 50s and / or there was protein leaking. Does this sound right. Thank you again for your time and thoughts.

• Posted

Hi, I know this post is a bit old but I recommend you arrange an appointment with nephrologist to make sure your kidneys aren't damaged.

I'm 30 yrs old with history of autoimmume disease . Had light swollen ankles from time to another. I did some blood tests which shows gfr 65 and creatinine is 100, mo protein in my urine either. my ultrasound says normal and no damage to kidneys so I thought oh great I'm clear thanks God but still went to nephrologist who confirmed that I have CKD. She showed me very tiny white dots inside my kidney which indicate slight damage to them although my ultrasound report says normal also she told me even though I dont have protein in my urine I havr CKD for sure.

I'm not trying to freak you out but do no rely on others comment only or online resources it's better if you go and see a nephrologist..

All the best and finger crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.