GFR drop

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm a 63 year old woman. My GFR went from 80 to 38 over an 8 month period. I'm hoping it's an anomaly, but how long am I supposed to wait before doing another test? Or should the doctor be doing some sort of further testing now since it was just a drastic drop?

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Kathy, if your eGFR was at 80 8 months ago, and this is the first repeat blood test you have had in those 8 months, then it could just be a blip, and the test should be repeated in the next few weeks.  However, if you have been having continuous tests over the last 8 months that have each shown a continuing downward trend, then your GP should have referred you to a renal consultant by now for further investigations to find out the cause of such a rapid reduction.  Hopefully, it is just a blip and your next test will show an improvement, otherwise do get that referral, and good luck!
    • Posted

This was my first test in 8 months - just a routine test due to some meds I take. Thanks for your advice about repeating it in a few weeks - that's what I'd really like to do. So far they haven't even called me about it - just put the test result on my online patient profile.

• Posted

Kathy, now having read your further replies, if it was me reading the results like that with a very large drop in kidney function since your previous test 8 months ago and with no subsequent contact from the surgery, I would be hot-footing it to the GP for a repeat test asap. Blood pressure medications can affect kidney function and that is why routine blood tests are carried out on kidneys and liver within a few weeks of starting the medications and repeated 6-monthly or annually depending on the surgery.
  • Posted

Hello Kathy,

You don't say whether this is the only test you have had.  if so, it ay just be an anomoly- they do happen sometimes.  I;m sure that your GP would order another test for you if you asked.  NICE guidelines say that a drop of 10% should mean that you get a repeat.  Good luck with it!

• Posted

Thanks for your response. The test was just a basic metabolic panel. I will wait a week to see if they call me, then I'll ask for a repeat test. I was surprised they put the result online; usually they call if any result raises questions before they put it online.

• Posted

In agreement with Mrs. O-UK Surrey... but if indeed, there is a decrease in function, you can go over meds you currently take, and see which ones impact your kidneys.  Also, stop NSAIDS and drastically reduce your consumption of salt.  You may seem some improvement that can stabilize where you are. 
    • Posted

Thanks, TMNA. My sodium level was low, so that shouldn't be a problem.The only NSAID I take is aspirin for heart problems. I did just start a new calcium channel blocker but I can't find anything that says kidney problems/failure can be a side effect of that drug.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your replies. I decided to call the nurse and she suggested I get another test done now, so I did and it was just 3 points higher. I have made an appointment with my PCP. 
    • Posted

Hi again, Kathy, I do hope the new appointment comes through quickly, but shame on your doctor for not having contacted you immediately that previous blood test result came through.  However, stay positive - 3 points higher is going in the right direction.  Good luck and do let us know how you get on.  
    • Posted

I agree that the doctor should have called me. Unfortunately my heart doctor retired and it was a new doctor I haven't even met yet who ordered these tests. But it's already making me question whether I want him as my heart doctor.

• Posted

Well at least he did request the blood test to include your kidney function, I suppose! I'm sure you'll be asking what happened after that when you eventually meet him.

• Posted

Where I live, the doctor doesn't even look at my lab results until my next appointment. This is a big problem in how medicine is practiced. I have decided that from now on, I want to see my blood work results as soon as they are available so that I can discuss any abnormals with the doctor. If I don't have a follow-up appointment, then I will make one if I see anything unusual or send the doctor a fax and let her know I am concerned about that result. I don't expect my doctor(s) to be as conscientious about my health as I am.

• Posted

Get yourself put on PatientView.  The hospital will arrange it. I am on it and find that  most of my blood results are put on there the next day.  GFR takes a little longer and they don't put up TSAT.  I was told there "is no interface for it" whatever that means.  However, it usually very close to your transferrin result which does get put on.

• Posted

I haven't seen that doctor in almost two years, so it's a good thing mine don't wait until my next appointment to look at lab results. My HMO has something that must be similar to PatientView. I can see my lab test results; that's how I know my GFR had dropped. I don't think they test for transferrin or TSAT (whatever those are). In the past the HMO has always called before posting an abnormal result.

• Posted

Thanks for letting me know about Patient View. My lab makes my results available, but I have doctors that want to take the blood in their office and they use the Hospital's lab, and of course it's more convenient for me. Those results have not been available so I'll talk to the hospital about Patient View.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.