GFR of 7; does anyone know ...

Posted , 8 users are following.

... what I should expect?

I have a GFR of 7. Apart from various pills I have decided not to try any heroic measures to alleviate my condition, i.e please DON'T mention dialysis if you want to reply!

I am fairly well but always tired and I don't look forward to waking up the next day when I go to bed at night; I feel I have had enough (I am 70).

I find it hard to get any useful input from the nephrologist I see and would like to know what is going to happen to me so I can be a bit better prepared for the last days of this illness/disease.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone with something to offer, but please, no sympathy; I would just like the information

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Bert, it may be worth looking at your thyroid levels. I think it's a noninvasive way to feel better.My mom's hypothyroidism made her feel like she was nearing the end of her life.  Getting her on thyroid meds made her feel better, overall.    Also, if you are retaining a lot of fluid, getting some of it off of you can actually improve creatinine (just don't overdue the diuretic -- check w/ your dr).   Finally, this combination of supplements seemed be a good pickup for her, and seems to have given her some energy (which improved a bit before the hypothroid diagnsis):  probiotics, sublingual b-complex drops (b12 is important), omega 3 with D3, coq10.   I also feel she does well with some aromatherapy: rosemary and lemon oils -- i soak cotton balls and drop them in a glass nearby.   I wish you the very best.  Life is not always rainbows and unicorns, but it is more tolerable, and even enjoyable at times, when we are there for one another. 

• Posted

Some people may experience a heart attack but I have known 2 people who had so much fluid buildup up and died 2 weeks later or one month later. One person I knew died one day after treatment and had no fluid buildup.

It all depends on your overall health. The 2 people who died 2 weeks and one month, had very high blood pressure. The man I knee was in his 80's or 90's and lived in a rehab center because his legs were too weak to stand up or walk.

The woman who died in 2 weeks was also overweight. The woman who died within a month was around 90 years old and had to use a wheelchair.

In your case, you may live a long life or you may not. If you believe in God, it is his hands, when it is your time.

May you live as well as you can for now.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.