Ggggrrrrhhh!!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

Well it is nearly four o'clock on the day of my admission, there are no beds but 14 people to be admitted to King's Neurosurgery today. I have just spoken to the Bed Manager who is apologetic but admitted when pushed that there was a 50%++ chance now that my op will be cancelled tomorrow.

To say I am f*cking p*ssed off is an understatement. She has said she'll ring within the hour with the final decision. No doubt so she can then go home at 5.00p.m !!! Do these people have any idea of what it is like to be messed around like this??? I said \"what happens if it's cancelled\" and she said that the Admissions Manager would contact me to re-book a date. I said \"but yesterday night I left work expecting to go into hospital today and not expecting to return to work until 7 January, so now I'll just go back in tomorrow shall I and just pretend this farce hasn't happened??\". I don't want to go back to work tomorrow, I've cleared my desk and spent weeks making arrangements for my absence, I really don't want to have to go through it all again, God knows when.

What I think of the NHS is unprintable. After all the b*llocks of the last few months that I have had to put up with, this is the final straw. I know how Mary and Joseph felt now, with no room at the inn. Oh, and if they can get a bed it isn't even going to be in Neurosurgery. It will probably be a camp bed put-you-up in the laundry cupboard. And this is what our 80 billion pounds a year gets spent on. This is worse than third well care.

Ggggrrrrhhhh!!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Well they rang back and it's official my operation has been cancelled. I will apparently get a call tomorrow to sort out a new date. I don't want a new date, I want the date I had thank you very much!!!!!

I rang the complaints department and spoke to my usual contact there. She hung up on me for being abusive....I think I was quite calm under the circumstances. Right now I am just boiling mad.

My kids have just rang and we are going to get a meal out, THey think I need cheering up!!!!

TFU (who is even more fed up today!!!!)

• Posted

:evil: omg

you must be devestated!!! (understatement) but this is not unheard of unfortunatly, i know to you me and all the other patients that get stressed put things in order and make arrangements with work etc, it is the very worst thing to happen on admission day, it is quite frequent at the hospital where i,ll be going . i do sympathise with you and hopefully they can get you admitted in the next day or two.gail

• Posted

OMFG!!!!!!!

oh tfu :cry:

what can i say!! i tell ya :bleep: kings!!!! tell 'em i've just given a :bleep: bed up, i i said you can have it, if not tell 'em i said they can shove it where the :bleep: sun don't shine!!!!! :steam:

i am so cross for you!!!! after all you been through you'd think, this they would not :bleep: up!!! i do feel for you, i'm so sorry :hug:

do they not realise, as you say, not knowing what to do about work etc, you plan your whole life around those couple of days!!! i am sooooo cross,

looks like you, me and gail may be in together after all !!

i think you should change your name to truly :bleep: fedupnow!!! (tffun)

well i have another pre-op appointment on 11th jan up there so if you are in for that date i will defo come and see ya, ok, with a prezzie and some chocs :cheerup: :gift:

i am sorry again, but let us know ok,

take care

:rose:mandy:rose:

• Posted

ffs tfu just wot u didnt need y do they mess everyone about i feel really annoyed for u ######g NHS hope it gets sorted soon for u

best wishes

chris

• Posted

Hi all,

I am so stressed out and shattered today. I didn't go into work today because I just couldn't face going in not even knowing how long it was going to be for before I would be off again. King's Admissions Manager and the Complaints person were both going to be calling me today. The Admissions Manager with a new date for surgery and I wanted to know what that I was going to be before I decided what to do. Anyway, by 4.30 nobody had called so I rang them...was given a load of cobblers about they were doing their very best to get me a new date and the Surgery Services Manager would call me. At 6.00 I had had enough and I have now e-mailed the Head of Neurosurgery, the surgeon and the complaints department. Then just as I sent it I got a call from the Surgery Services Manager. The long and the short of it is that they are all really sorry (yeah, right) and she was \"devasated\" when she found out yesterday evening the surgery had been cancelled. My heart truly bleeds that she has had to suffer all this emotional torment on my behalf. She is hoping to fit me in either Wednesday 5 or Wednesday 12 December, but she won't be able to confirm until the end of the week and there are no guarantees. So now what the hell happens??? I'm going to have to go back into work tomorrow. So far they don't know the operation has been cancelled, so that will be a shock, and then more or less as soon as I arrive I have to go through all the winding down procedures again. I feel absolutely wrecked. After all they have put me through, I really didn't think that there was anything left they could do to me. I didn't see this coming. The sequence of unfortunate events are such that statistically I had more chance of winning the lottery!!

They have to operate within 28 days of the cancellation. That would be 25 December, but they probably won't have any planned admissions later than 20 December. Apparently they are absolutely booked solid and finding a slot is going to be really hard for any date. I'm assuming they wouldn't be mean enough to cancel someone else's date to give it to me. The consequences are that if they don't operate in 28 days then I have the legal right to go anywhere of my choice, private hospitals included. I'm hoping now they don't fit me in. Shoe horn me in more like. My trust levels after everything that had happened where very low anyway, now they are rock bottom. If they do give me a date within the 28 days, they have to operate apparently, even if it means chucking someone else out of their bed or off the list. And that isn't fair on them. It just puts them through all the upheaval of a cancellation too. Right now I wouldn't trust them to walk my dog. I don't think I will ever again trust a single word they say. And now I wait and wonder..................

TFU:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

• Posted

hi tfu

we were all wondering if maybe you,d gone in today?? this is a truly an absolute nightmare for you. i was saying to mandy today that ive known someone that had a heart bypass op cancelled 3 times cos of bedblocking, and when you think of it who ever was going to be admitted on the day you should have been discharged is probebly going to have their surgery postponed as well!! i think maybe thats why the hospital im going to(supposed to be) only gives 2 wks notice now because of situations like this, looks like you and me will be in around the same time then. perhaps work will take your mind off things for a while. think positive now, 6 wks from now we,ll both be on here talking of post-op recovery. you really have been through it now it can only get better. i and probebly everyone on the site is feeling for you. gail

• Posted

hi tfu,

your still here!!!! :shock: how much more can they put you through!!!

i honestly thought yesterday that they would 'squeeze' you in because they have :bleep: you about so much already :steam: , lets just hope they can take you on one of those dates eh? :huh: its only ever happened to me once, what they don't realise is how much stress it causes.

you'll have to add all this to your list of complaints i think!!

your certainly determied to have your roast pigeon in't ya!!

see when me and gail :boing: have our necks done i think we have sore throats!! so gail will be having all her xmas dinner liguidised!!! :lol:

gail, you was up late last night!! you lttle :devil: !

tfu it will all get sorted, i know you've had a real tough ride, and we're all here for you to talk to, i still can't believe this is all happening to you,

take care, :hug:

:rose: mandy:rose:

• Posted

Thanks girls,

I didn't go into work today either. I just don't know if I'm coming or going any more and I am so stressed out with all of this. I e-mailed my boss and HR and told them what had happened and said that I would let them know what was happening as soon as I heard, but in any case I was not going to come in for the rest of the week. I am just so shattered, I can hardly function.

Anyway, King's rang earlier and they are going to operate now next Tuesday, so I'll be going in on Monday. Quite honestly when they told me, they may as well have been reading me the weather forecast or a shopping list for all the reaction that I have to this news. All my anger of the last few days has gone and is replaced with nothingness. I don't trust them. I don't believe them. I don't want it any more. I can't even allow myself to think about it, must less plan for it. The barriers have gone up, self-protection I suppose. And going around and around my head is the Leona Lewis song.....you cut me open and I keep bleeding, I keep, keep bleeding. This is all just so ugly, so flawed. Is it worth the risk of going in next week, no, I'm beginning to think that a lifetime addicted to opiate painkillers and anti-inflamatories, has got to be the better option now. I just can't take any more of their crap. If I stay in this mindset there is no way I'll proceed. Mentally, I've turned and walked away, the only question now is if I keep on walking or turn around and give it another try. But enough is enough.

I'll let you know. Sorry not to be more upbeat.

Best wishes

TFU

• Posted

hi tfu

you do sound on a downer, and who can blame you! hopfully you,ll feel better today about things, i can only imagine that you feel numb, like myself ive been told so many times that i,ll be in within a few weeks (july)(everything was put into place ready al and such things) then it was by the end of the month(oct) and now its just before xmas, so i dont really have any emotion towards the dates i just wait, my hubbys not booked time off just in case it doesnt happen, so IF it does i,ll have to have friends run me to the hospital, cos like you they could turn around and say \"oh we,ve no bed available\" and my hubby would have lost more time off work, so i just take each day as it comes now. oh i have ordered my shopping on line to be delivered for xmas( just in case) hopfully fingers and everything else crossed this time next week it will be all over for you.take care try to enjoy the weekend. gail

• Posted

i have every ounce of remorse for you, i can imagine how much you were looking forward to taking the first steps of feeling like you're actually getting somewhere.

when i was 14 i had waited ages for surgery removing a prolapsed disk, and when my due date came i felt so much relief. i went in on a sunday and 'fasted' that whole day and nite on the monday morning i was still 'fasting' and was told to shower and change into my hospital gown and take'n into theatre, they inserted a painful needle thing into my hand where the anystetic was to be injected to put me to sleep.

i lay there with my mum, saying she'd se me when i woke up, and then tese alarms went off!!!! it was horrable, the surgon explained that before surgery they run a check on the machines and the alarm meant their was a fault and so my surgery had to be cancelled!!! i was devestated, i cried all the way home and was really frustrated at the whole ordeal, thinking i knew it was to good to be true.sad

i had my surgery 2weeks later and everything ran smoothly, thank god!!!

i'm 19 now and unfortunately i'm waiting now for the same surgery on a different disc, it's taking forever!!!!!

but i generally do feel for you here, and wish you a speedy recovery as soon as possable, just know your not alone. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.