Ghost gallbladder pains

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had surgery to remove my gallbladder just over 3 weeks ago, and of course they tell you after 3 weeks is the end of your recovery time. The surgery definitely went great and I started feeling so much better after a week. I have eaten meals with fat here and there since I didn't very much before surgery- but in moderation. This weekend I did indulge in a few fattening meals and now this morning I'm having some slight pains like I would feel from my gallbladder before removal. Not nearly as bad as it used to be, but still uncomfortable. I had biliary dyskinesia, so there were no stones or anything. Just low functioning gallbladder. Since October 2017 I will admit I was not getting enough exercise and had poor diet because of new life changes and a new job. Since surgery I have been exercising more (slowly so I don't strain myself too much since I am still healing on the inside I'm sure)

My scars on the outside are healing, but I can tell they still aren't fully healed, so I'm sure the inside has got to be similar... So I'm just wondering for anyone who has had gallbladder removal, did you have "ghost" gallbladder pains occasionally after surgery if you ate a bad meal or maybe just in general? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Been in this forum for almost 6 months. Who ever had gallstones has good successful recovery and they are able to eat fatty foods as usual. But I do see some folks with non working gb, the recovery takes some time ,but also require food control. What are your symptoms before gb surgery?

When I had bilary dyskensia I was not having pain ,but lot of bloating, burping with dizziness symptoms and was dealing with 6 years and now got gallstones. But I also have gastritis. So still on sidelines if my bloating, burping will be resolved or not after surgery.

• Posted

There was definitely pain before surgery. Some bloating and some constipation/diarrhea back and forth. I've been taking a digestive supplement since surgery, so not as many issues with constipation/diarrhea. Just experiencing some pain like I felt before for the first time since surgery.

I'm wondering if maybe its just a strained muscle since I have been getting back into exercise too. Could very well be. It hurts if I move a certain way which does to me seem more like a muscle strain, but I wasn't sure if you could have pains sometimes even though your gallbladder is gone. I wouldn't be surprised if  that could happen since I didn't eat very healthy over the weekend. 

• Posted

Yes could be. I didn't feel like I was overdoing it in my workout.. no pain or anything but now its sore. I guess it's better than something serious. I'll have to ice the muscle and avoid workouts that involve it for a few days. Thanks for your help! 

• Posted

First off, 3 weeks isn't long enough for your external incisions to heal.  Your inner stitches can take up to 8 months for some, so take it easy on the exercises!  

Your body will also need to adjust to not having a gallbladder, too, whether it was functioning properly or not.  Eat fat in moderation--and let your body have time to heal. xx

• Posted

Right? That's what I thought when they told me. Seemed too soon for it to be completely healed. Although the pain I'm feeling really does feel more like a sore muscle, but I know I need to be careful. I have been and I tried to progress but I guess my body still isn't ready for that yet. 

• Posted

One man who went on this site was told it would take 2 weeks to heal by his surgeon.  The man started working out and tore himself internally 

Sometimes I think these surgeons are nuts!  You have one chance to rest and heal.  How you do that will determine what happens to you in the future.  You don't want to risk forming scar tissue and adhesions that will make you miserable.  Do be careful.  

• Posted

Yes and quite often it was related to eating too much fat in a meal, or generally trying to do too much. I definitely didn’t take it easy enough in recovery phase and paid the price at times. Takes a lot longer for the internal muscles to knit back together than they tell you. So yes everything you’re feeling is totally normal. Just try to eat fat in moderation and maybe gradually build it up. Some people can eat anything they want, yet others (like myself) have to watch what they eat or end up with stomach cramps and diarrhoea xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.