Ghost image & Floaters following cataract surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello folks the date is 17May2018.... I had surgery on both eyes recently about 1 month apart. The right eye was done 19Mar2018 and the left on 10Apr2018. The right was a textbook procedure and I am very pleased with result. I have clear 20/20 vision. The left eye was problematic. The lens capsule was torn during the procedure and I have retained lens fragments (RLF).  The RLF appear as very annoying floaters in my field of view (FOV). They seem to be dissolving somewhat but still a problem. I do have 20/20 vision, so I am grateful for that. Also I have ghost image at the "2 o clock" position, most noticeable when looking at light sources or reflected light. I suspect the ghost image is the result of misalignment of the IOL. The Dr. says he placed it in such a way as to prevent vitreous from back of my eye from entering front of eye.  Question: has anyone experienced this side effect and what was your outcome.  I am considering having the lens repositioned. The Dr. says the lens position is find and the ghost image is an "artifact" that has no real solution? I understand waiting too long to have the IOL repositioned increases the risk of complications.  I played a  round of golf 2 days ago and the vision was great in the daylight, with the exception of the ever present floaters racing around my FOV. Any input, advice or comments are welcome. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Second opinions are always helpful. 

I too have had floaters that seemed to disappear after a few weeks, but I do have dry eye and have not to noticible floaters on the surface of my eye. 

As for ghosting/ double vision. I too have that. I’m a previous lasik patient who had multifocal toric implant in right eye 12/23/2017 and multifocal in left eye 12/28/2018. I also underwent replacement iol surgery 3 weeks ago in right eye to correct power. My follow up visit on Wednesday dr says yag will need to be performed in 3 months. Hence the haziness, but I still do not have clear 20/20 vision and will also have to undergo lasik enhancement or PRK down the road. 

This is a long recovery and I wish you well. 

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback. My issues sound minor compared to your experience. The thought of another procedure on my eye is unsettling and I am hoping time will resolve the floaters and that I can get used to the ghost image in my left eye. Dr. states I don't have to worry about a Yag capsulotomy due to the hole/tear in my lens capsule. I am still placing drops in left eye due to the floaters. My next visit is in 6 weeks. I have mono-focal lens in both eyes and they give me great vision day and night. The night vision does come with the ghost image, which I can clear by squinting my left eye and sometimes my brain just blanks it out. Anyway thanks for the comments and I hoping you have a great outcome on your planned procedures. 

• Edited

Sorry to learn about the issues you are having due to the capsule tear during the cataract surgery.

The floaters will probably go away on their own as the floating capsule material is dissolved by the body.

However, if the lens is misaligned, you should consult with another ophthalmologist soon to see if it can be corrected. Obviously, it needs to be corrected early if it is to be done. However, it will require more skill than the first time because of the tear in the posterior capsule. Thus, the second surgeon has to be very skillful and confident about his/her ability to do this. If there is any doubt, it may be better to live with the current "artifact' than create new issues due to the lens falling behind the posterior capsule.

Wish you the best.

• Edited

Thanks for the input. Good to know these floaters "will eventually" dissolve. Dr. says they were cortex material and not nuclear so they should clear in 3-6 months. As for the IOL replacement your comment is very enlightening. I thought the replacement would be a more simple procedure. I have seen videos where the old IOL was cut in half and removed and a replacement installed on a slightly different tier. I believe my Dr. placed the IOL in the posterior position to seal the tear in the lens capsule. This may have created a refraction error which results in my ghost image (like looking thru a double pane glass). Also just occurred to me if they IOL is moved forward a bit will it still seal the capsule tear? 

There is always a risk of complications and a "do over" seems even more complex now. I will check with another Dr. It's not that bad. I think I can live with it. Who knows maybe it can be corrected with contacts or glasses. Thanks again for input, it is very helpful.    

• Posted

Hello, I'm in a similar situation as you are. The capsule tore when I had my second eye done. I too have lens fragments floating around in the vitreous that I'm also told will re-absorb by the body over time. I have what seems to be the size of a lady bug floating around but the eye with this issue is also my 20/20 eye. The first eye I had cataract surgery on is only at 20/40 and this is bothersome to me. I want that crisp and clear distance vision. I had lasik 20+ years ago and I don't want to go back to wearing glasses.

• Posted

Hi diane48177, I feel your pain. Those floaters can be a real bother. I used to refer to them as racers since they would whip around my view at a very fast pace. At first there were several pieces, 5 or 6 "period" size and about 2 "comma" size pieces. It was like a constant storm in my eye. After a month or so I have only 2 prominent pieces and they truly seem to float now. I think they have lost considerable mass. And some days they are not visible at all. Looking forward to a consistently clear field of view. I find wearing dark sunglasses helps block the annoying effects of the floaters. Thanks for your comment and good luck.

• Posted

This is an update to my initial post regarding ghost images and RLF or floaters.  My surgery dates were Mar 19, and April 10, 2018. I am pleased to report the retained lens fragments (RLF) or floaters have been mostly absorbed and are no longer an issue. I will occasionally catch a tiny, vague floater in the peripheral vision of my left eye, but it is flighting and not really a problem. The ghost image or double vision in my left eye continues to be present. I have adapted to it and it is most apparent at night or when viewing white images against a dark background. I was told by my optometrist while being fitted for readers that I had a hole (coloboma) in my iris. This can result in a secondary unfocused image on the retinal surface. I asked if a colored contact lens could be used to cover the hole. We tried it and it did make a positive difference. The lens was not dark enough to completely block the hole. I am in the process of ordering a prosthetic contact lens to cover the hole and block any light entry through it. The hole was not there prior to my cataract surgery. Interestingly my surgeon never mentioned the "hole" and when asked about the "ghost image", he stated it was an "artifact" of the procedure and I would adapt to it. My vision is 20/20 in both eyes and I am pleased with my outcome in spite of the ghost image. It is a minor inconvenience considering all of the things that others have experienced.  I will post an update after I try the prosthetic lens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.