Ghosting Double Image

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had cataract surgery 4.5 weeks ago for my -8.5d left eye. A multifocal Oculentis Mplus X was implanted. Vision now is -2.75d with excellent near vision. I noticed when I look at any distant image that is either white or is reflective (metal pole) under sunny conditions, I see a mirror ghost-like image by it. For example looking at a white color private plane at a distance there's a double image or a white rooftop, a double image. The surrounding area is mono-image. Is this normal? Has anyone encountered this?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, yes I had this double vision but only when I was out of daylight when pupil dilated. My surgeon said it was a lens issue and we replaced one eye with a different brand yesterday, staying optimistic but too soon to tell, I couldn't function at night not even drive.

• Posted

Yes I thought it's more so a lens issue so there's not much one can do about it other than what you did, have a different brand/IOL implanted in the other eye. What was your 1st IOL/model and your 2nd IOL? Do you have multifocal and mono or

a combination? With your new IOL combined with your former IOL, do you still get double ghosting vision?

• Posted

And why would pupils be dilated on a sunny day? Wouldn't it be opposite? Less dilated to protect the eye from harmful UV rays and brightness.

• Posted

When I'm OUT of sunlight, so when I'm in shade or night and pupils dilate it's at it's worst, surgeon gave me drops to dilate at night so I could drive but can't do that forever. 

• Posted

Whenever I go in a room that has lighting or in cloudy days, my sight isn't very good. Do you have the same problem? Only on sunny bright days is my sight good.

How long did you wait to do the second eye?

• Posted

Mine is the same, when I look into direct sun or go out on bright day sight is good because pupil is restricted but when it is overcast or in artificial light the pupil dilated using more of the lens and I got double vision and blurring. I had the oculentis at first and after 5 weeks just changed one eye to symfony, it's still blurry but I only had it done yesterday.  What lenses do you have in?

• Posted

Hahaha how coincidental. I have Oculentis implanted in the left eye. The right hasn't been operated on yet.

Mine is the

"Oculentis Mplus X."

Yours? Why not Oculentis in the other eye?

• Posted

I had two oculentis implanted 5 weeks ago and after double vision issues I had one transplanted with symfony yesterday, too early to tell how it will go but quite different optics, if it works I will have the other changed in 10 days
    • Posted

From your post operative impressions, how are the optics different?
  • Posted

Check out the oculentis  site and you will see the horizontal line with half circle in centre, the symfony I had put in yesterday has full rings.

I'm not getting double vision with symfony but lots of blur and can't see short distance but mid and far coming good (it's only been 36 hrs) oculentis is great with the refractive vision, 20/20 near and far except when the pupil dilates and double vision sets in.

I don't think they would typically  match these two lenses but will be interesting to see how things go

• Posted

The double line is for setting the IOL on an axis relative to your sight. My doctor marked my eye so he can align the axis of the IOL to the eye. This lens has to be set on an axis.
    • Posted

did the change to Symphony solve the issue?

I had a Lenstec segmented lens fitted 4 weeks ago and have the same problem with double/ ghost images,

my surgeon is planning on rotating the lens 180 degrees.

• Posted

Read this article (copy and paste title to search), there are lots of people who got refractive lens exchange with the Mplus X lens who are extremely unhappy:

‘I wanted better eyesight, but it’s all blurred now. It’s a nightmare’

• Posted

Also google "optical express ruined my life refractive lens exchange" and "Fears over eye surgery at High St clinic: Patients left with worse sight after lens implants" to read about other people who have the Mplus X lens from refractive lens exchange.

• Posted

That’s quite an article.  I had never heard of these lens till reading here.  They are not FDA approved in Canada or USA.

Certainly lens exchange does benefit those whose lives are impacted by cataracts - and there may be those with other eye conditions where this is a viable solution- it should never be entered into lightly without thought.  And unfortunately there are businesses that talk people into something based on greed.  

• Posted

I saw that article plus other negative reviews. Oculentis came back and stated it doesn't suit .5% or 1/200 of the patients. That's typical of any IOC. Optical Express had a lot of patients who rejected the Mplus X. Wonder if it was the practionaire. They said it takes minimum 7 years to make a competent cataract surgeon.

Fortunately I haven't had any problem with the Mplus X. Near vision is excellent and intermediate and distant vision is pretty good. It's been almost 9 weeks post surgery. It takes time for the brain to adjust to the IOL. I'm pretty happy with the Oculentis Mplus X. 95% of the time I don't wear glasses. I'm very happy about that. Yes it may not be for everyone. Lots of choices out there.

• Posted

I will be interested in knowing if your results do improve over time.  Just for

Me personally as I did pay for a premium lens I would not be happy with that result.  I was able to see clearly at all distances with hours of first surgery and 36 hours of second .  Testing at post op and 6 weeks was pretty close to same result.  Not sure what the point is paying for a premium lens if you have to wear glasses except for unique situations - like pill bottle reading.  Perhaps for toric lenses as the cost to correct astigmatism would be warranted.  For your sake I do hope vision improves and adjusts given time.   

If that article is more about the lenses than just practioner then that could be one of the reasons countries like Canada and USA don’t approve them.

Do let us know if it is just a one factor vs a fault in lens as I am sure many on these forums would appreciate that information.

• Posted

Sorry that last phrase (autocorrect on iPhone annoying sometimes) should read let us know if it is a time factor vs fault in lens.
    • Posted

Did your double image go away?

Mine is unchanged after 5 weeks, if I look at rear lights of car in front I see 2 images at 45 degrees.

As I get nearer they merge into 1 at about 10 meters.

• Posted

thanks Nina, I had read that article, I paid £5,000 to a top surgeon but left the brand of lens to him, we only discussed having distance and near or intermediate vision. I chose intermediate and can see the improvement in close vision but the rest is very poor.

Before the op I had good distance vision but obscured by a cataract. 

• Posted

I need to add that all of my problems are in one eye, with both eyes open I can see fine and read print if not too small. I am concerned that if the good eye deteriorated I would be left with a problem.
    • Posted

Do you have to have the other eye done?  is it possible with just one operation done the double or ghosting is due to differences in power between the 2 eyes?  Would a contact lens I. The other eye help?

If you need other eye done think about type of lens and have discussions with surgeons - perhaps go with one that is used widely.  Especially if double vision is due to the current lens you have vs a difference in prescription between your eyes.  I had a hard time for 6 weeks between surgeries due to prescription.  Even with one lens poked out of my glasses it was a hard 6 weeks.

• Posted

Well the other eye is in really good shape so I am planning on leaving well alone, I saw the double image from day 1. I tried masking the good eye to see if there was an improvement after a few hours but alas no.
    • Posted

Have you seen your eye surgeon?  What does he say?
    • Posted

I have managed to get an appointment for a second opinion on Wednesday in London.

We will see... hopefully more clearly.

• Posted

Yes hope so too for your sake.  An explanation certainly needed by an expert.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.