GI issues and low iron levels

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I have been having GI issues for a while now and from that time my iron level is between 70 and 73 and my haemoglobin is at 11 always. Is that something any of you has experienced as well? My doctor said it's nothing alarming but I am having symptoms that I can't ignore anymore. I.e. feeling lightheaded , headaches to name a few. If anyone has similar symptoms due to low it in levels, kindly let me know if your doctor asked you not to worry or if you were offered supplements.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HI, sorry you aren't feeling well. I was put on iron tablets when my levels went to 16, my last blood test showed that they had raised to 47 and my doctor told me to stop taking them.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Wendy. Will see my doctor next week and see what he suggests. I was worried but now encouraged to know I can raise my levels. Thanks again.

• Posted

Your iron levels are higher than mine when my doctor told me to stop taking iron tablets but you can try eating foods that can help with iron levels.

• Posted

Symptoms of low iron

Extreme fatigue

Weakness

Pale skin

Chest pain, fast heartbeat or shortness of breath

Headache, dizziness or lightheadedness

Cold hands and feet

Inflammation or soreness of your tongue

Brittle nails

Unusual cravings for non-nutritive substances, such as ice, dirt or starch

Poor appetite, especially in infants and children with iron deficiency anemia

If your doctor has told you that your symptoms are not alarming and not to worry, then you should believe and accept what your are being told because your doctor is the expert. Your doctor would not tell you that your symptoms were not alarming if this was not the case. Your doctor is trying to reassure you and this is good news for you. If your doctor thinks your symptoms warrant treatment, you may be offered supplements. Try to relax.

• Posted

Thanks Pippa for the detailed information. I appreciate it. I will try to relax. My health anxiety won't let me enjoy my life.pfff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.