GI Issues and Treatment Options

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all,

I am hoping someone can shed some light on my somewhat “unique” situation. I’m a 38yo male and live in NJ- USA. I’ve had bowel issues for quite some time-the primary constipation.

About 3 years ago, a Dr. suggested an antidepressant, so I started Lexapro. I didn’t “love” how I felt mentally and experimented throughout the time, but always resorted back to Lexapro.

During this quarantine things exasperated so, I used the downtime to experiment.

I discovered, though Lexapro does help my constipation, it certainly does nothing for my mood or cramping and bloating. I’m not sure if the Lexapro is causing/worsening the cramps and bloating (since I’ve always had them) or if the symptoms are just part of my pre-existing problem and Lexapro is not helping or worsening them- it’s just not enough to control it all.

I recently experimented with Prozac first 20mg and then 10mg (20 was too much for me). I discovered the Prozac helps my mood (a lot) and it controls the cramping bloating, etc. the downfall is that it worsens my constipation, even when I take laxatives, I find myself constipated.

My standard regimen for years has been to take a laxative at night so that in the morning I go to the bathroom. Taking it at night also helps avoid side effects during the day- I often end up waking up throughout the night to go to the bathroom which I have grown accustomed to. Furthermore I’ve always taken my Lexapro in the morning along with my daily vitamins etc.

Since they both have pros and cons I don’t know what to do.

My thought was to reduce the Lexapro from 10mg to 5 and take it with my laxative before bed (since it helps my regularity and does cause some drowsiness) and then take 5mg of Prozac in the AM since it helps with my mood and TREMENDOUSLY helps control my GI issues. I have not tried it yet as I’m afraid to over-do it.

I am awaiting a call back from my doctor but I figured I’d get some other opinions in the meantime.

Any thoughts are much appreciated as I’m pretty desperate for answers at this point.

Albert

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My thought is that you should give it a try if your doctor agrees. . Both drugs are at very low doses and it just might work for you.

I have issues with constipation and it is a struggle. I also have RA so I have to try and manage both conditions with various medications

Good luck to you

• Posted

Thank you so so much! After I cleared it with my Dr. he also said he didn’t see an issue since both were low doses. This is day 3 and I am lost for words at how well it has been working.I never in a million years thought to try this and I did so only by accident. I know I will still need surgery because I have a prolapse but I’m so shocked at how well this is working. Hopefully it continues to work this well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.