GI symptoms, no real diagnosis.

Posted , 2 users are following.

November 2017 I was taken to a hospital with nausea and vomiting x 10 occurrences with severe stomach pains. I was given a CT scan due to the pain and absent bowel sounds. I expected to be told I had a bug but instead was told I had an abscess on my bowel, inflammation around my appendix, and a possible intestine stricture. I was asked if I had a history of CD. Up until this time I have always been relatively healthy. I was sent to a larger hospital for treatment and diagnosis. After 4 days of high doses of multiple antibiotics and being prepped for possibly having CD I was given a colonoscopy with biopsy which came back clear and a follow up CT which showed the abscess and inflammation had resolved. I was sent home with no diagnosis or reasoning behind the episode. The symptoms came out of no where but all the Dr's were positive it was CD prior to my colonoscopy and repeat CT scan and once those came back clear I was discharged without seeing another Dr. and told to follow up with my primary care Dr. So I made an appointment with my PCP and was started on Protonix for GERD and told not to eat spicy food for a week because I told her sometimes my stomach burned (which only started after the episode that put me in the hospital) and was scheduled for an EGD. I began the Protonix after the appointment and only noticed that if I missed a dose my stomach would burn and if I missed more than one dose I would have painful stomach cramps and burning diarrhea. After taking the Protonix for a month or so, I was switched to Nexium due to side effects and took the Nexium only for a week and have not been on any GERD meds in over a month. I have no complaints of heartburn or my stomach burning at this time. My EGD showed that I had a very small hiatal hernia. Since then I have not returned to a Dr. but continue to have odd GI symptoms that have only manifested since my November hospitalization. I have have increased urgency with bowel movements and frequent episodes of diarrhea, on several occasions I have had bloody stools. After eating I feel bloated and full which causes nausea. I have noticed when I eat certain foods I will always have the burning/cramping feeling and diarrhea afterwards. I stayed home one day from work after eating a small piece of lasagna the night before for dinner and the diarrhea started shortly before bed and continued all night until the morning when it became bloody before finally stopping. One recent weekend I ate pizza and was sick with my stomach for 3 days. So recently I have started a rather bland restrictive diet but today instead of my usual lunch, I ate half of a chicken salad sandwich and experienced the fullness/bloating and urgent bowel movement that contained some blood. I plan to make an appointment with my PCP for this week but this is my question...Is it possible to have CD and the symptoms flare up out of no where with no findings during the colonoscopy? Something has not been right since November and I cannot understand how they could be so sure it was CD and then it was nothing. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sounds like quite a journey you've been on. These matters can be quite confused and unfortunately do take persistence from the patient.

Given the 3 foods you happen to mention are gluten based - have you been tested for celiac? There's a blood test which is reasonably accurate and worth a go. You need to be eating gluten around the time of testing. GPs never seem to mention this important fact!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.