Giant hepatic cyst: Any links with Gilbert's Syndrome?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've just been found to have a giant (20cm) hepatic cyst. Apart from severe backache this has been almost entirely asymptomatic. However, I've known for about 5 years that I have Gilbert's Syndrome. This, too, has been largely without symptoms apart from alcohol and fat intolerance. Both conditions have been discovered by chance. 

My question is - Are Hepatic cysts and Gilbert's Syndrome linked, or was Gilbert's Syndrome misdiagnosed because of the effect of the developing cyst on liver function? Anyone any thoughts or knowledge of this? N.B. I have also posted this question on the GS forum on this website.

Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am unfamiliar with Gilbert's syndrom.  I just had my liver cyst laparoscopically removed last week.  The cyst was about the same size as yours and I suffered from back pain for quite awhile without realizing it was the cyst.  Unless the Gilbert's syndrom contraindicated getting your cyst removed, if it is causing you pain, I highly recommend removal.  I already have less pain 1 week out.

All the best!

• Posted

Thanks for this information. I'm so pleased your laparoscopy went well and that you already feel better. I will be interested to hear of your progress.

I had a hospital appointment last week and have a date for a laparoscopy in a month's time. I can't wait as back ache/pain is so debilitating especially as I'm a keen walker and can now only manage about 500 metres! Now that I know about the cyst it explains not only the backache (confidently previously identified by GP, physios and osteopath as wear and tear on the spine) but also the difficulty in inflating my lungs after exertion (diagnosed as asthma). So glad that I had an MRI scan of my spine which revealed the cyst, otherwise It would have gone on growing. I'm amazed that there is absolutely no external manifestation of something so large which is pushing against my diaphragm, my right kidney, my spine and my rib cage. 

With regard to the Gilbert's Syndrome ( a congenital condition caused by a missing enzyme resulting in an excess of bilirubin in the blood) the doctor at the hospital was confident that it is entirely separate. Although many people report debilitating symptoms (jaundice, itchy skin, exhaustion), I've  never experienced anything like this other than an inability to tolerate alcohol and fatty food (possibly exacerbated by the cyst). There's no contraindication for a laparoscopy because of this.

Fingers crossed that I'll be pain free and fit once again after the surgery....not to mention several kilos lighter!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.