Giant Ovarian Cyst

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I was seen in ER this past Monday for right lower quadrant pain. Turns out I have an ovarian cyst measuring

22.6 x 25.7 x 17.4 cm (basketball size)

I'm uncomfortable look pregnant and ready to get this behind me. Surgery is next Thursday. Surgeon thinks it's a benign cyst but won't rule it out until they take it out. The only symptoms I've had up to the ER visit was gastrointestinal. Then the day off the er visit i thought i was having an appendicitis.

What type of surgery can i expect. What about recovery time? Thank you

I had a hysterectomy in July 2016 kept both issues.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Leah,

I had a very similar surgery a couple of years ago. I had thought at first I was just putting on weight and had symptoms like gallbladder problems. When they eventually diagnosed the cyst I was really amazed as it filled my abdominal cavity pushing all the structures out of the way! Mine too was benign but they had to wait until the surgery to confirm this.

I had it removed via a laparotomy (vertical incision) and they removed both ovaries and appendix. Post op was really uneventful and I recovered quickly and was over a stone lighter without the cyst. Without the ovaries though it did tilt me directly into menopause and I use a hrt patch now which is really effective. Just want to encourage you that many have walked this path and you will recover.You.will need a good 6 weeks off work and no lifting however fit and strong you feel. Do ask lots of questions, I didn't at the time and googling stuff just worried me. All the best. Julia

• Posted

hello

i just had surgery 2 weeks ago. thankfully he drained it first so managed to do it keyhole and i am pretty much back to normal. i think if they open you up it is a harder recovery period. mine measured 18in not sure of full diameter he drained 1.5L of fluid.

being key hole i was out later the same day x

good luck

• Posted

ps. they also took one ovary and tube away

• Posted

in 2015 I had a Laparotomy for a 7cm cyst. Tests were unclear as to what it was so they decided on the full surgery so they could remove the cyst as it was on the ovary and they needed to take ovary away.

I was in hospital 3 days, off work 5 and half weeks (office job) But not fully recovered till the Jan of 2016. Grade 1a cancer was diagonised but removed at that same surgery.

What surgery they do will depend, I am sure they would have let you know via an appointment letter etc. Esp if its a larger surgery as you will need to stay a few nights.

Everyone is different with recovery times etc. I have CFS so my recovery was mixed with that. And my wound opened up so was on strick rest for a week. However as I had an office job I would return to work sooner then some people

• Posted

Mine was about 25cm by 17cm by 10cm when taken out in August 2018. No symptoms other than bloating.I had a full hysterectomy with ovaries out. (my choice). The surgeon would have been happy to just take cyst out. I was told all along that cancer was highly unlikely before and after operation. It was confirmed as benign two weeks later.

I had a vertical cut from two inches above my navel all the way down. I was in hospital one night and more or less fully recovered within 3-4 weeks, albeit no lifting for 3 months. I was lucky to have a quick recovery.I found that walking as soon as I could was a saviour and helped my recovery. No issues since except swollen stomach if I do too much. Now on HRT patches and don't really have any menopause symptoms unless I'm late changing the patch.

Good luck 😃

• Posted

did you have a fever? what did the pain feel like?? im feeling alot of pain.... different from normal and dont wanna waste another er trip.... i need to get mine removed soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.