gilbert syndrome

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi im a mum of 4 and im 28.i found out i had gs when i was expecting my second child in 2005 when they took blood.i have`nt been told much about it the doc`s didnt say much it`s nothing to worry about.but the past couple of mnth my hands have started to shake my older child who is nearly 10 keeps asking me if im ok so she is starting to worry about me.i take dizzy turn`s most days and my eye`s are always yellow but all i get told is there`s nothing to worry about is this normal. sad [/b]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Shaking hands are one of the things I hate about this condition ( am a photographer !! ). I'm a little sick and tired with the \" there's nothing to worry about \" attitude all the GP's I've seen have fobbed me off with since I didnt worry before I had insomnia, panic attacks, headaches, dizziness, tummy pains and no energy ! ( which are things I do struggle to live with on a daily basis ).

I saw a few posts down in Australia they are hopefully doing serious research into this condition as am sure a few on here are as fed up as I am with it !

Wish you luck and all the best and you're not alone !

- David

• Posted

IT`S NICE TO KNOW THAT IM NOT ALONE I`VE NEVER HEARD OF GILBERTS SYNDROME B4.IT REALY GET`S TO ME WHEN DOC`S SAY ITS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT BUT WHEN U HAVE KIDS IT IS SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT.MOST DAYS I FEEL REALY BAD AND ITS MY KIDS THAT SUFFER COZ I CAN SIT AND PLY WITH THEM COZ I FELL ILL.MY YOUNGEST IS 6MONTHS AND IM FINDING IT HARD TO LOOK AFTER HER COZ IM TYERD AND FELLS DIZZY BUT SHE SLEEPS ALL NIGHT.IT`S GETTING TO THE STAGE THAT MY FRIENDS THINK IM A SILENT DRINKER BECAUSE OF MY EYES BEING YELLOW AND MY HEAD AKES THAT THE PUT DOWN TO A HANG OVER.I JUST FELL SO SAD AT TIMES THAT I JUST WANT TO LOCK MYSELF IN MY ROOM AND CRY. :cry:
  • Posted

I understand your frustration.

It's 3:55am and yet again I cant sleep. Having never had insomnia before in my life it's something I'd previously lived without happily.

I remember a while ago the medical profession had the same attitude about \" ME \" or \" Yuppie Flu \" as they called it. They have since conceeded that it is a life altering condition. Hoping one day Gilberts Syndrome gets the same recognition as am sure like yourself I knew what \" normal \" was and the changes this condition has made to my life these past 17yrs has changed me beyond all recognition.

Feeling sick and tired all the time is not normal and for GP's to assume we're happy to try and live our lives feeling horrible is just flat out depressing.

I think the problem is that the severity of it seems to vary greatly. I've read posts online about many people who live with it but are unaffected and didnt even know they had it. So it's a strange condition how it can make some feel terrible and others, nothing.

Always hoping to see more recognition and appreciation and of course research into this condition as like yourself previous to my diagnosis I'd never heard of Gilberts syndrome either.

Take care of yourself and again wishing you all the best also to all the other people who are having problems with their lives because of GS.

- David

• Posted

I was diagnosed with GS last year, thankfully (or not!) my brother had previously been diagnosed so I was able to point my GP in the right direction. My GP says that there are no symptoms but does accept that this is the \"official line\" and that my symptoms are real. Unfortunately he cant help me so I've been left to deal with it alone. I've recently started taking 5HTP supplements (\"Happy days\" tablets) to help with my PMT - which is noticably worse since having GS. Apart from the odd liver ache and occasional bout of tiredness I feel amazing! I'm sleeping really well at night, which means i'm not so tired during the day, the brain fog is lifting, and i'm feeling really rather chipper most of the time. As I say, I still get a bit of liver ache and the odd bout of tiredness but nothing like what it was before. I cant seem to find anything on the net about the effect of these tablets on the liver so am assuming all is OK. Anyway - hope this snippet of information is useful to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.