Gilberts syndrome and halitosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have gilberts syndrome and suffer from tiredness, dizziness and digestive problems. My most stressing symptopm by far is halitosis. i have been assured by my dentist that my oral health is excellent and my mouth is kept clean. I have tried sugar free gum. drinking water etc. i have acid reflux and my gp thinks this may be the cause but i don't seem to be able to get rid of it. I have also tried apple cider vinegar without much help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Does the bad breath smell come from your stomach and occasionally you pass gas that smells the same? An acidic smell that isn't your breath but more a weird smell you can smell but others can't? I have this problem as well and can't pin it down to anything other then black pepper. If you find an answer let me know. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the suggestion but i know it smells. i have been told by the children i work with and it is not associated with gas. i do have acid reflux when the smell is worse, and i feel food is a trigger but am struggling to work out exactly what it is.
  • Posted

Try kefir - a probiotic yoghurt/drink.  If you cannot find it on shelves, make your own with 'seeds' from health store and milk.  Some people use soy milk or coconut milk with the seeds.  Instructions come with the seeds.

Also probiotic supplements.

• Posted

I do take a good probiotic but am prepared to give kefir a try
    • Posted

Have you been tested for helicobacter pylori?  It is a breath test, which does  not always work.  Otherwise, an endoscope where dr can see it and take a biopsy.  Actually, have the test 13 days before starting kefir as the kefir suppresses it, same as medication for acid reflux.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.