gillian1900

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking Venlafaxine for 15 years. I have increased the dose (by GP) over these years, I am now taking 267.5 grams. (150 + 75 + 37.5).

I feel so depressed and anxious although I am going through the menopause (which is awful - been going through this for 10 yrs!) still get very, very slight periods.

What can I do?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gillian. Can you possibly ask to be referred to a psychiatrist? GPs should not be tampering with these above average doses of any psychotropic medication. You should have felt a lot better long ago. Menopause certainly doesn't help but you should be able to get sufficient relief from anxiety/depression meanwhile. And it doesn't sound like Venlafaxine is doing it for you. It's been far too long, 15 years...Any chance forf a referral?

• Posted

Hey Gillian, absolutely everything Purpledobermam said. GP's shouldn't be messing with an over average dose. They can reduce if they feel you're stable and you want to reduce but changes are all supposed to go through a psychiatrist, or that's how it works with my local health board. Incidentally I've been told by several doctors that ven is used to control menopausal symptoms particularly sweats.... well that's a joke, I keep deodorant companies in business because of ven induced sweating.

• Posted

It is not my arm pits that sweat....It is my entire body...I am drenched everyday...I went on Ven for anxiety and depression.  Now I am no longer anxious or depressed, but I sweat like a pig. It is so gross..
  • Posted

I went on Venllfaxine because of menopause. I was fine until menopause.  I got very nervous and anxious and scared of things...Scared of stupid things.  The doctor put me on Venlafaxine and I am fine..Have been fine since I started taking it....I sweat terribly on this drug so I want to get off it it..I found out on this forum that all my constant sweating is caused by Venlafaxine...Who knew????  But I have read the withdrawal symptoms are unbearable, so I don't know what to do...I don't think I can help you because my depression, etc. went away when I started Ven 12 years ago...

• Posted

Try adding 15 or 30mg of Mirtazapine to the Venlafaxine. The two drugs complement each other well, resulting in improved response to depression. So much so that the two together are nicknamed "California rocket fuel".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.