Give me something that works!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Come on guys! What are your thoughts? Doctors are prescribing in my opinion pathetic ssri/snri type antidepressants that take weeks to have an effect. cause lots of false hope and side effects and more importantly DO NOT WORK.

The sort of medication that really helps get rid of anxiety is not prescribed because of its addictive nature. BUT which is better? I know which one i would take. We only live once! It makes me so mad!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

matt

I am very interested, what would you feel would help you ?

• Posted

Hi borderriever. I feel that low dose diazepam or pregabalin would help me with my problems. Thankyou for your reply
    • Posted

matt

I was thinking you had something good in the garden, I would have been around in a flash Lol

Keep a hold

• Posted

You are going to have to change. Thats the only healing that works.i am trying so hard myself. Its constatnt. You have to convince yourself that life is good and safe and a wonderful place. Its the only way. Our bodies are stuck because we are in its way with all these negative downer we feed it. Happy people so not walk around like us. Jeez terminally ill cancer patients have more positive vibes. So somehow we all have to figure out how to stop all this. Mind over matter idk..mind over mind. Im trying myself. No meds but an emergency xanax. I have good days, weeks i love it. I got sick and boom im a mess. I end up praying for help from above. I do. I dont know who doesnt at some point. We need to change. Theres no cure in a pill. Science hasnt made one. Some get relieve from them..half actually. Some dont. They dont because we all dont have the same reason or core for all this.

i hate all this very much. I hate ailments, i hate sickness and i hate anxiety! We all do im am sure although some do have healthy bodies, many don't. I really want to live and enjoy life too. So very much.all i keep coming back too is i dont care what the science is behind how i got this way, obviously they dont even know or they fix it.. we have to be able to fix some of this ourselves. If our bodies knew to go from one cell to a human it damn well has to be able to self correct this mess

• Posted

I also get help from the man upstairs. My spirituality. But it's hard !! I know to well how hard! I even go out in nature and play meditative music. Do any thing! Even a nice shower or tub bath. Rub your feet. I go walking with my dogs! I had to figure something out because I was anxiety free for over ten years on these meds! Health phobia sucks! I am so tense I want to jump out of my own skin! But we can't! When that fight and flight goes off , nasty chemicals are released to just keep us messed up! Walk on earth barefoot feel the ground!! Pray. Anything that works..!!

• Posted

Try meditation apps! Really brings my anxiety down! I am going thru some medical testing so my Health Phobia has kicked in big time. I was freaking out about blood pressure spikes!! I could not get myself to calm down!! I do bodyspace !! It works!! As uptight as I was , I really didn't think it would. Brought my blood pressure back down to.normal right after I did it !! I am on celexa and klonopin and has been working for years, gave my life back! But with all these med tests I am going thru , Health Phobia, thinking the worst. We have to learn to think positive and slay the negative thinking!!! Meditation works.

• Posted

What kind of drugs do you have in mind? If SSRI/SNRI don't work, you can try tricyclic antidepressants. They are rather safe, but can be lethal when overdosed - that's why doctors are unlikely to prescribe them in the case of patients who have a history of suicidal thoughts or in the case of new patients, previously unknown to the prescriber. If tricyclics don't work, you can try the old-fashioned irreversible MAO inhibitors. Despite being over 50 years old, these are the best anti-anxiety medications out there. The problem is that their application requires the patient to follow a very (very!!!) strict diet, with foods like wine or cheeseburger triggering a lethal side-effect (hypertensive crisis) - that's why they are rarely prescribed these days (it's rather easier to get them in US, in UK you would need to spend some time as a voluntary patient in a psych ward prior to being started on these drugs).

Now, if you thought about benzodiazepines - forget it. Seriously. This week you would need 5 mg of diazepam to feel good, next week you would need to take at least 10 mg and one year from now you would be a wreck of human being. Benzos are ok if you use them occasionally. For example - people suffering from flying anxiety can be prescribed with a low dose of diazepam / lorazepam / alprazolam (alpra - not in UK) and told to take a pill before boarding a flight. Providing that they fly only a few times per year, everything is fine. But in a situation where you need to take a drug every day in order to function normally, starting benzos sounds like a very bad idea.

I hope this helps. Feel free do some more reading and to discuss the options mentioned above (tricyclic antidepressants and MAO inhibitors) with your doc.

I hope you get better soon!

• Posted

If u want a quick fix then maybe those addictive types are better, I've not taken anything stronger than paroxetine 40mg myself. Sounds like u might need to give these more of a chance. Anxiety is not a quick fix you have to get to the root causes and work on ur thoughts and thought patterns while taking anti deps.

• Posted

honestly in my opinion ssri are bad. they rewire you brain in a bad way there is a diff type of drug that i think will help. im on lamictal and it helps. with other anxiety meds. Benzos are addictive so be careful. Nothing will be a cure all pill. you need sleep, exercise and diet to fix things. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.