Given 80 mg- First time on Mirtazapine

Posted , 7 users are following.

My sister was taken to the mental ward for 3 weeks. She was released and diagnosed with bipolar, depression, and anxiety. The doctor put her on 80 gm of Mirtazapine. I think this is too much plus she's on 2 other brain meds.?

For more context:

These are what led up to being submitted to the ward.

-having and acting out irrational beliefs that she 's overdosing and running out of breath

-being indecisive in daily tasks and moving around

-speaking nonsense and acting frail

Personally, I think the doctor didn't do a good job diagnosing her and just gave her any meds

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

80 mg is a very large dose.  One issue that you/your sister may not have considered is withdrawal.  If she decides to discontinue the drug, typically one experiences bad withdrawal symptoms, which is dependent on how long you have been on the drug and what dose.  Your sister needs to determine whether she is benefiting from the drug.  If so, the dose should be reduced to somewhere between 30 and 45 mg.  If she is not benefiting from the drug, start the process of tapering soon.  Obviously, consult with your doctor.  I would recommend that your sister find another p-doc.  Most p-docs in the wards over medicate and don't spend the time to fully understand what is going on.  It is crisis intervention meant to stabilize you, not necessarily to give you an accurate diagnosis.  Lastly, I will say that while some people do benefit from Mirtazapine, many others (myself included) feel it is an absolutely horrible drug that has very severe side effects on the body.

• Posted

Yeah scree the mental hospital they just doped me up on seroquel and I’m not phycotic I was on propranolol debakote remeron lexapro gabapentin Valium and seroquel I withdrawaled fromit all besides lexapro did it by myself I couldn’t feel any kind of emotions but fear and anxiety freaking shrinks the reason I got put in there they put me on max zyprexa and then quit me cold turkey
  • Posted

Do not take that much!!!!! No bad idea seriously no that’s insane 45mg is the max I found success from just 15mg that would be hell to come off of 
  • Posted

O.M.G.That's an insane dose of Mirtazapine,(pardon the pun) Please get a second opinion A.S.A.P.! Personally I was on 15mgs and It took. several weeks to wean myself off of it,I think its a HORRIBLE drug I wouldn't give it to my worst enemy.

• Posted

I am interested in your opinion of Mirtrazapine. It seems to be very widely prescribed for all sorts of conditions outside of its use for Major Depressive Illness. I agree that the dose seems extremely high. What were the withdrawals  and how long did they last? I am just trying to understand how the drug works and what stopping it is like. I am amazed that it is prescribed so freely.

Best Wishes

Kim

Kim

• Posted

Hi Wendy

I agree with you that that is a high dosage - especially as she is on two other psychiatric drugs. How does your sister feel about it? Is she also receiving any therapy? In any case if your sister is in agreement with you perhaps the best you can do is seek another doctor's or psychiatrists opinion and help.

Best Wishes

Kim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.