Given insulin in hospital

Posted , 3 users are following.

Recently I was admitted to the hospital overnight for something not related to diabetes. I gave them my medication list when I was admitted. It included Metformin which I take 3 times a day. I was shocked when the nurse gave me a shot of insulin instead of Metformin. Has this happened to anyone else? I was concerned as I have been able to manage my diabetes without insulin. The staff doctor told me to go back on my regular meds at home. It has been a week and I am having trouble keeping my glucose levels where they were before. They have been running around 180 instead of 140. I don't want to become dependent on insulin. Any advice?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Nan, 

about 2 years ago something similar happened to me. I have diabetes and was on  metformin when I was admitted to hospital with a mini stroke. A nurse tried to give me insulin but I refused to have it without an explanation as to why which the nurse could not give. I spoke to my GP later and it was apparently suggested because my blood glucose levels were a lot higher than they should be and indeed 3 months later I did have to go onto insulin in addition to the metformin. The big problem was that bcause I was on metformin and therefore not testing regularly (relying on bi-annual checks at GP) my BG levels had gone very high without me knowing. 

Do you regularly check your blood glucose levels, or has your GP said not to?

• Posted

Hi Gill, thanks for your reply. Yes I do test my glucose levels once or twice a day, usually about 3 hours after eating. I try to keep it under 140 which I can normally do with careful diet. But I was surprised that they gave me an insulin injection in the hospital (also without any explanation). My main concern now is that I do not want to become dependent on insulin. But I am having trouble bringing it down to what it was before and wondering if the insulin is already causing me to become dependent. I will keep working in it. Take care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.