Giving blood helping to reduce BP?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I read today that donating blood regularly can have a positive effect on hypertension.  Has anyone got any anecdotal evidence to suggest that it worked for them?

I'm on amlodipine/losartan and my BP today has ranged from 150/110 (7am) to 115/90 (11am). I a bit frustrated at present, as my diet is following DASH to the letter, I've not had any alcohol for over a month, I don't smoke, and whilst 20 pounds overweight, I'm really active, and exercise 4 times a week.  I'm more concerned about my diastolic number which rarely gets below 90.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It make sense, the more blood you have the higher the pressure, I've always thought about but never read about it.

• Posted

blag, intriguingly, I've noticed in the past that after  having several tubes of blood taken for testing, my blood pressure has been lower - not for long though, unfortunately!  Well done on having a break from alcohol and the healthy diet and lifestyle you are following.  Keep it up, I bet if you lose the extra 20lbs the BP will improve even more.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi

I went on a vegan diet for 2 weeks and walked everyday for 2 hours. My diastolic reading dropped from a usual 97 to 77, first time it’s dropped like this since I was on meds years ago. 

• Posted

blag72...donating blood & the resulting lowering of bp is very very short-lived. Also, it is not true that the more blood you have, the higher your bp will be. 

you are on the right track for lowering your bp by following a healthy diet, exercising, etc...& if you lose the 20 pounds, the bp will likely lower yet again.

Please let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.