Giving up on NHS

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have Bipolar 2. I'm giving up on the NHS. Fortunately I can afford private within limits. I moved back to the UK three years ago from Australia and befor ethat the US. In both places I had much better mental health care than here. 

Right now I need to make some meds adjustments - lithium and effexor have started to give me bad side effects. I'm off the lithium and on to depakote but I still need to change from effexor. The latter is tough to do and I need some team support. My experience with the NHS has been uniformly bad. I had a very poor and borderline incompetent psychiatrist on one visit and have had two failed attempts to get a referral accepted recently. Suicidal ideation is a problem for me but that doesn't appear to get more traction.

On my latest attempt to get a referral accepted, I've been calling Delamere House in Crewe attempting to contact a person I talked to two weeks ago. Yesterday, I made 27 phone calls trying to find her. 

Now I'm considering going to the Priory. Are there any experiences that people can share? Did you get good treatment?

Thanks,

Tim

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The NHS has been getting a very poor rep lately with mental health care.

Are you in Crewe or that area?

• Posted

Yes, I'm in Cheshire.

My ex-wife has an entirely more serious mental illness, dissociative identity disorder. She attempted suicide 5 times. All they did for her was take away her driving license. She's now in the US and getting much better treatment.

• Posted

I was seeing doctors and shrinks in the UK for over 20 years before I finally got diagnosed as bipolar. I've studied psychology and my Mum was bipolar, so I had already suspected this for a long time, but I had to suggest the possibility to a shrink in 2010 before they eventually came back with the diagnosis of BP2. After assessment and diagnosis, there was no further therapy or counselling, just a repeat script of quetiapine from my GP. No-one ever checks with me to ask me how things are going or whether the meds work. In short, my experience of NHS psychiatric treatment for BP2 is that it is minimal, uncaring, and very unhelpful. The meds help, but I still have all sorts of weird mood-shifts which cause all sorts of problems, and there's no-one to monitor it or help with it. I know many others with similar experiences. NHS psychiatry: 1 out of 10.
  • Posted

I'm sorry the exeriences are bad so far. Luckily I live in an area which seems to be okay. The mental health team call me twice a week and it's always the same person, as well as the team I visit once a week - they know everything and seem to be responsive. This is in Buckinghamshire, perhaps you could stay for a while and get treatment here (Priory is expensive).

Ask you GP to refer you to the Whiteleaf Centre. Worth a shot!

• Posted

Yep, I've had similar experiences. 

I now have a great psychiatrist but even so, his time is short and he is clearly overworked. I saw my GP, complaining of feeling depressed last October. It took 4 and a half weeks for me to be seen, during which time I'd had a full blown manic episode and had crashed into a depressive spiral. There was apparently 'nothing that could be done' for me in those weeks, and it became ridiculous towards the end. I was suicidal but refused to be sectioned because I have two young children- the tagline of the NHS mental health services is that if you're not suicidal and not self harming 'too badly', you're not 'at risk'. 

Hang in there pal. If things get super rough head to A & E and demand to be seen immeadiately. BP 2 is an extremely serious condition and you should be being seen, especially if you're changing meds. Good luck!

• Posted

Yes lol.

Hi Tim

3 years ago I was diagosed with depression a year ago i was diagoned with bipolar and Im still not one the correct meds nor have they changed them nor am I getting a therapists help.. Infact I have no theripist.. My CPN does not come out to me I have to go out to her.

This is all due to the goverment cut backs on the NHS but they made cut backs withing the mental health department.. soon there will be no mental heath department.

• Posted

and I also have epilepsy aswell as bipolar but can only claim for esa as pip keep on refusing me even though i should accouding to my doctors and cpn and CAB and the esa person in thje job center and quite a few more people i should have a carer to make sure im ok the make sure I take my meds as I do forget but the goverment dont care. Ive even been told to write a book about mental health conditions and the way the goverment just doesnt help.

I ended up with bipolar because i had epilepsy since i was born and a big fit triggared it off so that another part of my brain now doesnt work like it should. doctors also failed to pick up on this as claimed that my mother was paranoid because she was a senoir sister.

• Posted

Thanks to all for the comments. Today I tried to see my GP to get a referral to the Priory. She's not available today for an emergency visit and the next appointment is a week today. I have some spare depakote and can adjust the dose myself. Fortunately I don't need a GP to figure that one out. I feel right on the edge so I should see some benefit soon. If I have to, I will go to A&E but I'd rather not do that if at all possible.

I still need to transition off the Effexor since the side effects are bad. I'll see if I can get a connection to the Priory before doing that.

Tim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.