Glad to be back online with you guys - I have digital hearing aid questions

Posted , 6 users are following.

Diagnosed with Meniere's 5 years ago. Went on low sodium diet increased my cardio workouts and got by with only mild brain fog and ear fullness in my right ear until about 2 years ago and started having severe vertigo and nausea attacks. I tried a diuretic and steroid pills to no avail. Tried a steroid shot into the inner ear and did not help. I chose not to do another one of those. I had a mastoid bone removal procedure and that relieved the pressure and with a extreme low sodium diet, I have been vertigo and nausea free for 1.5 years now. Still have fullness and some brain fog, and distortion. I had lost about 80% of the hearing in my right ear and already had about 20% loss in my good (left) ear. (I'm 73 years old) I've got two hearing aids but the distortion in the bad ear is just amplified and the sensitivity to loud noises is very prominent. The left ear was my mainstay until a couple weeks ago and I lost some of the hearing and had the beginning of a vertigo attack. I took some of my cbd drops and stopped it. But the hearing didn't come back for about a week. (This is how the other ear started.) I'm very disappointed that this insidious disease may be moving to the other ear. I've never had tinnitus, thank God.

Sorry to ramble, but I'm hoping to find someone that has experience with the new technology hearing aids that might help with the distortion, offer better voice recognition, filter out background noise and has bluetooth to use a microphone for meeting rooms or one on one in a resturant, (I still enjoy working but have to communicate in a noisy environment.) I feel best during my work out periods when my heart rate is up and for some time afterwards. I'm on blood pressure meds so I have a lower than normal resting heart rate and I'm sure that affects the blood circulation to my inner ears. God Bless everyone with this terrible affliction. Best regards, GM

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Glennmorr. Unless you are new to this site you probably have heard many of us highly recommend Betahistine for relieving MD symptoms. If you have not been prescribed this med you should discuss with your ENT doctor asap. Regarding hearing aids....are you a military veteran in the USA? If so, you are entitled to free aids and the ones they give are extremely effective and have most of the bells and whistles you ask about. Regardless of the quality of the aids most MD patients get just so so benefit as you noticed with the ones you have tried.

• Posted

hi glenn

i have very little hearing in my bad ear unaidable

i recently got bicros hearing aids basically the bad one is a microphone that transmits sound to tje good ear their not cheap but so far they are great my audiologist can adjust them etc

i take betahistine and its an awesome drug but takes awhile to get into tje sustem and as you know everyones different

• Posted

Wow, sounds like you have and are trying everything to fight this horrible disease. i have only 16 % hearing in my right ear and the left also has loss but so far not as bad.When I try to describe to friends, family and doctors, how the noise in my ears can be almost unbearable especially when you are trying to sleep, I wish i had a speaker so they could hear it. As far hearing aids, i dont know what i would do without them. The brand is resound. I have an app on the phone that controls volume, phone calls, resturant, etc. they are not cheap but so worth it. They come with a great warranty. Good luck to you! CHRIS

• Posted

Hi Glennmorr, back at the beginning of this year, I was diagnosed with MD and also suffered nausea and vertigo, I was given Betahistine but it did nothing for me, I was given Cyclizine instead which worked brilliantly for me and this stopped the nausea and vertigo but then the tinnitus started, I found that much harder to deal with as the noise was so loud I was sure that others around me could hear it but obviously they couldn't. I had to watch TV with subtitles on as the tinnitus was at a higher level than my hearing and I was really scared that I was never going to hear again, but then I was issued with a hearing aid and it has been a godsend. I am completely deaf in my left ear so only had the right to hear with. The hearing aid has helped to quieten down the tinnitus and some days I can't hear it at all and I am returning back to work tomorrow after being off work for over 5 months since 13 February and am really looking forward to it. I would highly recommend getting a hearing aid. Good luck from Julie.

• Posted

julie

just curious as to what doseage betahistine they put you on glad the hearing aid is working i am similar in one ear is basically deaf and i have a bicros hearing aid which takes the sound from the bad side and puts it into the good ear

• Posted

To be honest I can't remember as it was back in February but they did not help at all. The hearing aid I have goes in my good ear, they spoke about putting one in my bad ear for the sound to transfer across but the nerves are dead in my deaf ear so no point trying it.

• Posted

thats incorrect info does not matter the ine in tje deaf ear is a transmitter even if completely deaf it will transfer sound to good earbicros hearing aids google them

• Posted

Hi! I'm at the point where I realize it's time for a hearing aid in my affected ear. My EnT is a wonderful man but I believe I'm teaching him about this disease. That being said, I need to find an audiologist experienced in Meniere's. Is there anyone from New Jersey who could recommend one? THANK YOU!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.