Gland removal help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

I had my submandibular gland removed 9 days ago , I have a 5 inch scar as the gland was very inflamed ( awaiting results) I had the stitches out Friday and I have a lump like a golf ball under the area that is so painful , it's giving me constant pain , anyone have any advice please

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I would have that checked immediately. After my surgery, I had a draining tube inserted along with stitches. You want to make sure it has not become infected.
  • Posted

Hi Philly bub -

I would contact your surge as soon as possible for a follow-up. Swelling may be normal but, not to the extent you have indicated and, especially given the amount of time that has passed.

Please seek immediate attention to this, as it may be a sign of infection that needs to be addressed ASAP. Good luck and keep us updated..!

• Posted

Hi I had my submandibular gland removed 28th of May 2016 like you very red and imflammed at first I though I had a infection but within 2 weeks started to subside. I went back to my consultant who said this was normal.  After 6 weeks had another ultrasound ct scan and Saligram because of the hardness and swelling they found nothing. 

My neck still swell when eating and drinking so I felt there was still and blockage, I went back to see consultant who told me to Man up (I am a lady) so not impressed.

I have just eaten my breakfast and my neck still swells up I am due to go back on the 1st of August. The pain has subsided and the only thing is to take pain relief tablets.  If I had the choose now I would of stayed with the blockage.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Dear 2DustyDay -

While swelling can be common, it's important to remember that everyone, and their recovery, is different. I can say that ANY medical professional that would tell you to "Man up", most likely does not have the best "bed-side manners" and, possess the empathy needed to be an effective and caring advocate for their patient. I understand your frustration.

Any inflammation as you're describing after so many weeks does seem a but uncommon and, can be a sign of infection. Please update us after your August appointment, keep ice on and off to reduce and minimize swelling and, take Aleve for the pain. Try your best to stay away from opiates (not a good thing to be on). I wish you a safe and less uncomfortable recovery.

• Posted

Hi Agee with you entriely I think the consultant wanted to go to lunch mine swelling is defiantly worse after eating and drinking at one stage was going to cut me open but when scan showed nothing he back tracked and said neuralger I am sure he has not got a clue what has gone wrong but face feels like I have had an injection like they give you at the dentist will wait until next Monday and see what he says?
    • Posted

Hi Dusty -

I will refer to my original post I made on this forum. This is my own personal opinion, as I am not a medical professional but do have extensive experience with them. When it involves surgery, especially surgery in and around the facial nerves, it's critical to make certain you obtain the best and most qualified surgeon possible to conduct the surgery.

In my opinion, I have found that the "teaching hospitals", such as John's Hopkins in Baltimore, MD, Mt. Sanai in New York and several others, have the most qualified and competent surgeons in their ENT division of Otolaryngology. Boston Massachusetts General is also excellent hospital.

This surgery, while not considered major, can certainly be life-changing if the wrong surgeon were to be incorrect t in their approach or, removal of the gland. There are literally thousands of tiny facial nerves that surround the submandibular gland, as well as the paranoid and sublingual gland.

My best suggestion to you would be to follow up with your surgeon at your scheduled time. Please remember, there is no harm in getting a second opinion from an expert - however again, it could take months for this area to heal properly. The biggest thing is try and relax, keep a level head about things and, place ice on and off at 20 minute intervals to reduce swelling. This should help and I wish you the best on your recovery.

• Posted

Hi I wonder if I can ask you a question I live in the UK and had my Submanbular gland removed about 3 months ago.  I still have swelling when I eat or drink and numbness type pain, I went back to the consultant who did more ct scan Saligram and ultra sound which showed there was nothing there so he told me to man up. 

However nothing has changed I am going to see him again on Monday and I am trying to find out is this normal?  I appreciate any advise 

• Posted

Dusty - Please ask your doctor/surgeon these questions as again, I am not qualified to answer them. Best of luck..!
  • Posted

Thank you everyone ,

I went to my gp who gave me antibiotics just incase there is infection and it's starting to feel better.

I just recieved a letter from the surgeon to go and see him next Friday regarding my results , I have had a parathyroid tumour removed and now my submandibular gland , think my neck glands don't like me very much lol

• Posted

Hi Phillybub. I had my Submandibular Salivary gland Excised(removed) almost 4 weeks ago,. I too am experiencing a fairly large soft lumpy swelling just above the Scar,,this is also painful/tender,. my GP initually treated me with a course of Antibiotics, but this as not resolved it,.& infection was discounted by a Max/fax I managed to see in his clinic with an emergency appointment,. instead I was told it was pos-op trauma & would settle down in the next few days,.that was 4 days post -op,.we are well past that time frame now & this swelling is not reducing,. I did have a lot of Drainage before being discharged & wonder if the drainage as caused an accumilation of fluid in the tissue!!!,

• Posted

Philly bub -

I would recommend making an appointment with your surgeon to have it looked at, as you should already have done type of follow up appointment.

In the meantime, let's look at it for what it is.. possible presentation of swelling. You mentioned the gland prior to removal was inflamed. If that in fact was the case, was it due to a stone/s.? Or just the inflammation of the gland and subsequent removal after an unknown reason..?

It's important to understand the cause prior to removal, as what caused the inflammation originally (if it were not a stone/s). If it were an unknown cause, this same "unknown cause" may very well be the culprit.

Again, full disclosure, I am not a medical professional and, you definitely should follow up with your surgeon, Otolaryngology area.

Until this point though, I would probably put ice on and off for 20 minutes. Swelling, that is most certainly to have some discomfort with it, should be decreased through these means.

Good luck and keep us posted..!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.