Glandular fever

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

?In april this year i was rushed to hospital with a suspected asthma attack after going for a run- i hadnt had an asthma diagnosis previously but had noticed increased wheezieness over the last 18 months.

?Whilst conducting tests in hopsital i was found to have glandular fever, which would explain my tiredness and recurring sore throat.

?I am also type 1 diabetic.

?My main reason for posting today is that i am 5 weeks in and have been unable to go back to work, and i have just been signed off for another 2 weeks. however, my sick pay has just run out and now i am stressing aboutn paying the rent and bills. some days i feel okay but others i could sleep all day. I am getting shakes and muscle pain, as well as becoming very confused and forgetting things, the doctor has mentioned a possible diagnosis of chronic fatigue but nothing has been 100% confirmed yet.

?I just need some advice and help, i feel so guilty and stressed about not working but i physically cant.

?Many thanks, chloe.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chloe,

It i is very normal to feel like this, I have had it spnce late October, rest as much as possible, I know this hard, but I am now feeling better and I hope soon you will too, FIve weeks is still very early in this process so dont expect to much right away, just hive yourself time to heal,

• Posted

You have my sympathy and support.  Glandular Fever effects everyone differently and your recovery time may be different from everyone else.  Try not to worry about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. You are still very early in your recovery. This nasty virus takes time to heal from--drink plenty of fluids, rest and take some vitamins. Try to resist the pressure to go back to work too soon. My doctor told me that when I felt 80% normal, then I could go back to work.    Also the shakes, muscle pain, foggy thinking and forgetfulness are all symptoms that many of us have to deal with--you can get better!  Rest, rest and then rest some more!
  • Posted

Hi Chloe,

So sorry to hear you are feeling so unwell at the moment with glandular fever, I really do sympathise as someone who went through is about 10 years ago. The doctors and many medical sites will tell you that recovery should be 4-6 weeks or 6-8 weeks, but don't want you to panic if it doesn't come as quickly as that because it is a nasty virus and it can take a few months to recover from. It is very normal still to be feeling that way at this stage and do not listen to any doctors about Chronic Fatigue, for most people the virus can take a while to get over, in no way do I think you have that, most people going through it still feel quite unwell after 5 weeks and it can take a few months unfortunately.

The important thing to remember is that you will make a full recovery though, without any doubt things will get better. Definitely good advice from Mono and Gerbear, try to rest as much as possible. There is nothing to feel guilty about because your body needs time and rest to recover, I know it's horrible when you feel under pressure because of work. If you are able to take some time off that would help, because sometimes it can set you back if you keep trying to work through it - it's a common mistake that a lot of people make just trying to fight on, it's the kind of virus that needs respect and you need to just rest as much as possible, get extra naps and sleep and remove stress as much as possible too (which is so hard because going through the virus is so stressful in itself, I really do understand!).

Definitely would recommend taking vitamins and herbs, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, high dose of Vitamin C (1000mg to 3000mg per day), B complex and Co-enzyme Q10 are good for energy levels and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinicea. All these can help your body cope and boost your resilience when going through it.

Hang in there Chloe - you will get through it, it's just so frustrating that it takes a bit of time - it's okay to accept that your body doesn't feel great today but key thing to remember is that everything you are going through is normal for the virus and there is full recovery ahead, and the phase you are going through at the moment is by far the worst phase and the intensity will ease.

So key thing for you - don't worry (hard as it is I know!) and take it from me as someone who went through all the same emotions and horrible worries and feelings of being wiped out, etc - things will definitely get better and you WILL make a full recovery and get back to normal - in the meantime just take it easy and don't put yourself under any undue pressure.

Thinking of you and message any time

Craig

• Posted

Thanks all for your advice and comments of support, just a new development to question you about, for the last 2 days i've developed a tremor and shakes in my arms and legs that come and go throughout the day. This morning the shaking in my legs was so severe i couldnt get up for an hour!

Spoke to my GP this evening and he said if this hadnt resolved by tomorrow i needed to be seen for a review as this isnt typical with Glandular Fever, im just wondering if anyone here had experienced it at all?

?Many thanks once again, Chloe x

• Posted

Hi Chloe,

My legs and arms felt shaky for awhile and still do from time to time. I would see the doctor though just to rule out any other causes. There are many strange symptoms that go along with this.

• Posted

Hey Chloe,

Wise words from Mono for sure it's good to get that checked out by the doctor, but equally I wouldn't worry either because viruses like this can cause tremors and shakiness - but of course do see the doc to get checked out if concerned. Thinking of you.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.