Glandular fever causing worst pain I've ever experienced please help me.

Posted , 5 users are following.

So for the past month or so I've been feeling kinda off, I've been tired a lot and just kinda feeling sick. Then about 2 weeks ago I went from being tired to feeling like I have the flu, this stage lasted about 10 days then I finally started to feel like my luck was turning I was sadly mistaken. Over the past 6 days I have been experiencing the worst pain of my life, my throat and tonsils Are very swollen puss filled and extremely painful. The pain is constant and literally the only thing that helps is 2 Tylenol 3 mixed with steroids, I cannot eat and I can only drink tea and miso soup. I've been to the ER 5 times but still am yet to receive something that has made any real difference. How long does this stage last how many of you have felt this pain I'm feeling I don't know if I can mentally take anymore of this pain. Please help me.. please.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey Jory,

So sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with glandular fever, I really do empathise having been through it myself a number of years ago. Let me reassure you that what you're going through now is by far the worst stage of the virus and that things WILL get better. Don't panic if it still takes some time to recover, that is normal, but the intensity will lessen as time goes on. For me, the first 6 weeks to 2 months were by far the worst, I felt awful all the time and just couldn't see much light at all.

I totally understand Jory how you feel, it drains you physically, mentally and emotionally, especially when you're trying with doctors and not getting anywhere. Although it doesn't help when you're going through it, take comfort that if you have a diagnosis of glandular fever that these symptoms are very common and it just takes time to pass over, but that it WILL pass over. Taking vitamins and herbs really helped me (a good strong multi-vitamin per day, high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), B complex / co-enzyme Q10 (great for energy levels) and immune boosting herbs like echinicea / siberian ginseng). Definitely worth a try if not doing so and can only help your immune system cope better.

Best thing at this stage is rest rest rest, frustrating as it is. Be kind to yourself, as your body needs time to recover - but remember 100% you WILL get there, this coming from someone who was in the same level of distress over it and wondered if things would ever improve, but they do (given time) and hang in there - just take one day at a time. Thinking about you - trusting God will your healing, 100%.

Craig

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your reply Craig, it's nice to know I have other people out there who went through a similar situation and made it out okay! For the first time in several weeks I had moments where the pain was lesser I truley hole this is how the recovery process starts and that I will be well on my way! For you when the pain left were you left feeling tired and weak or were you able to return to work or school? I got accepted to university for aviation and need to continue flying asap and I'm worried I'll have to decline the offer because of gf. Is it something I can push through or am I'd better to wait several weeks after recover before pushing?

• Posted

Hi 50,

Oh I know it's so hard to go through, I really do believe you're going to get through this and get better - without any doubt I believe this and trust in God with your recovery. Really hoping these pains ease up, and that this is the start of the recovery process. Yes when i had it, I felt tired and weak for a while, so please do be very careful about overdoing things even when feeling a bit better - because sometimes if you push things too much then it can really set you back. I know it's frustrating and stressful when you have these pressures on you, please do make sure that you put your health first - even if it means having to defer for a year or whatever - hopefully that won't be necessary but just see how you are each day and week at the moment, don't look too far ahead and just deal with things as they come and discuss it all with people you trust.

And remember, you WILL definitely recovery, I genuinely believe that for you and don't panic if it still takes a bit of time, this can be normal, hard to be patient I know but the intensity will lessen with time until you reach the stage of full recovery.

Take care and thinking of you

Craig

P.S. Good advice Lecaso too

• Posted

I feel for you! Have you tried gargling warm salt water several times a day? This was the only thing that provided any relief for me and green tea seemed to help some also..it is so very frustrating that there is no treatment for this horrid virus! Just plenty of fluids, lots salt water gargles for as long and far down the throat as possible and lots of rest..wishing u a speedy recovery from the misery!
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for your reply, The first few days of pain saltwater made the pain worse but recently I've been doing it like 5 times a day and it's been eating the pain a lot. That and oregano oil i find when I combine the 2 it stings for a while but help a lot for about an hour just ling enough for me to eat some soup.

• Posted

That can be normal Farhan, the lymph nodes continued to bother me a bit even when I started to feel better, but this eventually goes too as time passes by - hang in there.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.