Glandular fever I'm so desperate

Posted , 8 users are following.

three months ago I woke up and was feeling very sick. High fever, intens heat and exhaustion. At that time I thought I had the flu. But it was a very heavy flu and it won't go away. After six weeks and three rounds of antibiotics (which didn't help)  I was diagnosed with glandular fever.

Now, it's almost three months and I have still intense heat-attacks, insomnia, exhaustion, and still feeling very sick and my eyes are red and hurting. I have to lay in bed all day. It's terrible and I'm so scared. Sometimes when I'm feeling a little bit better I watch tv for half an hour, but after that I feel sicker than before. That makes me so scared. 

I had a active life and I'm so scared that I never get better and there is something terribly wrong with me.  It's three months now, and I'm desperate. I need some encouragement. Does this sounds "normal" to you? 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi im Di. I was diagnosed around 3 weeks ago. My symptoms don't seem to be like everyone else's. I have no energy, I have a very dry throat and sometimes I feel like I have a very severe hangover without having touched a drop of alcohol in have fluid at the back of my throat and a chesty cough and runny nose. I have been off work for over a week now. I just feel absolutely exhausted. I have just finished a course of antibiotics. I haven't a clue where I have contacted this. Its driving me mad. Im just hoping that this is my last week of feeling so awful.

• Posted

Hey there Di,

So sorry to hear you have been suffering with these symptoms of mono / glandular fever. Everyone's symptoms can be quite different, but I don't think any of the things you mention are uncommon at all, often it feels like a flu or heavy cold at first that you think will pass over.

This is the worst phase you are going through, the exhaustion and horrible feeling of being so run down is awful, but you will get better but it's important you give yourself plenty of time to rest, it can take time for your body to recover and if you try to carry on as normal it can be the worst thing to do. Take a good multi-vitamin, high dose of Vitamin C, other immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echnicea and oregano perhaps, and energy boosting supplements like B complex and Co-enzyme Q10. These can really help in your recovery.

Thinking of you and just take care of yourself at the moment and take it one day at a time - you will get over this but don't panic if it takes a bit of time, it can hit everyone differently and is a nasty virus so your body needs a bit of time to recover from the exhaustion.

Take care and don't worry - it will get better

Craig

• Posted

Thank you. I wake up feeling as exhausted as I go to bed. I seem to have a continual dry throat. Just hoping by next Monday I am more energetic, I'm going into work no matter what!!

• Posted

Hey Di,

Just be careful with continuing to work, sometimes that can prolong recovery, I know it's not easy for people to take time off work and to completely rest but it really is the best thing to get over this virus.

I think the no.1 mistake people make is to say 'right, I'm going to fight through this thing' and keep trying to live life at a normal and fast pace. My experience is that those who take the time early on to rest and look after themselves and reduce stress as much as possible will recover quicker overall.

The exhaustion is a classic symptom, it's horrible and that's why rest is so important your body is just totally drained by this thing. The dry throat must be so frustrating, keep a bottle of water by your bed for sure and take plenty of water and fluids, that can only help.

Thinking of you Di and hang in there, you will recover from this and if it doesn't happen right away don't panic it can take a bit of time sometimes, but your recovery definitely will happen.

Take care and thinking of you

Craig

• Posted

No use taking antibiotics, when the infection is from a virus.

Only Rest and hydration will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.