Glandular fever in the over 45's advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all and thought I'd take the plunge and join the forum. I have been diagnosed with GF earlier this month following a series of blood tests following acute tonsillitis back in the beginning of October.

I am relatively healthy and was running twice a week until this happened. I am reassured a lot of people experience the same symptoms as me as it is very unnerving having different things happen to you.

I know when i do too much my various warning signs appear like pain under my left armpit, slight ache in the left side of my chest. Often get hot feet and twitchy left foot when it's near dinner time!

Does anyone suffer a lot with wind?

Does anyone feel very wobbly, almost low in the mornings and find they operate much better in the evenings?

I have been signed off work for three weeks, just at the end of my second week now and really hope it starts to improve soon. I did try too much by walking around the local shops yesterday and felt really faint, almost like my body was going to sleep!

Thank you for reading and wishing you all a speedy recovery.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey there,

Sorry to hear you have been struggling last few weeks, it's not nice for sure what you're going through but you will recover and get strong again. I was a bit younger in mid 20's when got glandular fever but yes I had all the symptoms you are talking about, I remember feeling very 'stunted' and a bit wobbly and as you say evenings can be better for many people, it's possible to feel wiped out at any time of the day with this depending on your routine and when you function best.

Just take it easy and don't rush back to work or anything too soon, everyone recovers at a different rate from this. Would definitely recommend taking a good multi-vitamin (Immunace is a good one I buy in the UK in Boots), B complex vitamin is also good for energy as is Co-enzyme Q10, and things like siberian ginseng and echinicea are good for boosting your immune system. Listen to your body and take plenty of rest, I think a common mistake many make is trying to go back to a normal way of life too soon with this, this is a nasty virus that can persist if not given time and respect, so take things very slowly.

You most definitely will recover and get back to running and a full and active way of life though. Hang in there and thinking of you!

Craig

• Posted

Thank you Craig and for all the positive comments you made above and on other peoples post on here.

i am taking the Bassetts multi vitamins that have a fair few vitamin B types in and also a Tescos vitmin C drink. Have cut out my lattes and coffees for now plus drinking some of these herbal teas. They taste better than I thought they would! 

You are right in that you may have a good day and say go to a cafe, potter around at home but next day or that evening it hits you back, normally for me it's my tongue that plays up and my legs go all Bambi like! I find some mornings I wake up at six and have to have breakfast as feel wobbly/nauseous. Mind you if working I'd be up at 530 and had breakfast. 

The wind and slight discomfort on the right side of my stomach comes and goes. Was tested for coeliac disease but came back negative. 

Thanks again Craig good to have some positivity. 

• Posted

Hey Stokieboy,

Sounds like you are doing the right things to help yourself, it's so frustrating I know I remember it well those feelings you say one day you feel not too bad then it hits you later or catches up with you or whatever.

It won't always be that way though for sure, just give yourself time to recover - you really need to listen to your body when going through this, and there is plenty of hope and you will get over it - plenty of rest and taking the sensible approach in the early stages makes a big difference and helps for a speedier recovery.

Take care and thinking of you

Craig

• Posted

I am 61 year old and have been struggling with mono (GF) for 11 months. Mine also started with tonsillitis.  After the acute stage of sore throats and extreme fatigue, I have been slowly but surely recovering.  I now work 1 or 2 days a week at a very easy low stress job.  Sometimes that is even too much for me.  The social anxiety I have is often overwhelming and I choose to hide at home.  I have never had this kind of nervousness before.  Going outside in my back yard and doing deep breathing helps me.  

My doctor told me that us "older" people often have a longer recovery time--but we will get back to normal.  So I am taking vitamins, eating healthy food, and getting fresh air everyday. I can now do a little house work everyday. All winter I was not able to do anything--my husband had to do everything--working, laundry, meals and cleaning.  Now I actually enjoy cooking dinner for us.

i am already feeling anxious about the holidays coming up.  I probably will not go to any parties--just family events.  I am worried that I will have a relapse if I do too much.

good luck in your healing

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Hope you are well on the road to recovery now. The anxious side I relate to as even say queuing in a coffee shop I get anxious and imagine my legs are going to give in. 

You sound as if you have it planned out for the coming months which is good as it seems the more you pace and plan yourself the better. Half the battle is telling your mind to listen to your body. 

It it is a very weird illness as you can't take medicines to help relieve it and  you don't have a timeline of how long it can last. For example with a cold or chicken pox you know what to expect and have a good idea when you'd feel better. 

Thanks again for your message and hope your healing is going well.

• Posted

Bit of advice please...I keep getting a slightly swollen, sore red tongue especially if doing a little too much. Does anyone have any good remedies at all to relieve this please?

Have tired to change my eating habits as was up early each day and feeling nauseous. Now have a low carb snack before bed which is helping, however now seems to have moved to later in the day around 5pm. Normally have my main meal around six, six thirty. I do graze on healthy (well mostly!) snacks as the symptoms I get are similar to IBS. Think my GF has wrecked havoc in my gut.

Hope everyone is getting closer to their normality and shaking of GF. My fourth week signed off work and getting bored now, well more missing company been busy reading, online and writing so making use of this enforced break. Best wishes to you all.

• Posted

Hi Stoke Boy,

I've always found taking a probiotic tablet is good for the stomach issues, or even eating yoghurt if you like that as it contains lots of probiotic properties, peppermint can be good too I believe.

Sorry to hear about your swollen and sore tongue, maybe if you take some anti inflammatory herbs such as flaxseed oil is a great one for that, or even turmeric or oregano oil. There are some good foods too I believe oily fish is one but I find that too difficult to eat myself personally!

Thinking of you and remember most importantly you will make a full recovery and pull through this - this virus is capable of any strange symptoms so just hang in there and you will get through this, not easy to be patient I know but I fully believe in a great recover for you without any doubt in mind.

Take care and message any time

Craig

• Posted

Hi Stokieboy,

I feel for you having this horrible illness.I was diagnosed with it July this year.I find stress makes my symptoms worse.It drains your energy too.I also had a sore tongue and a weird metallic taste.It attacks your immune system.Just remember you have glands all over your body.I think I`ve had pains just about everywhere.Try and cut out caffeine and sugar.Hope you feel better soon.Blessings.

• Posted

Thanks Angelrose. Thank you for your kind words. It is the pains and excess wind that worry me, although getting used to which parts hurt. Have cut out coffee and only have one tea a day, plus herbal teas now. Trying to exercise so muscles dont diminish to much, but then have to make sure don't overdo it.

Trying to get some weight back on and not succeeding much. I guess it will happen in time.

Hope you are feeling better now?  Thanks again.

• Posted

Hoping that you are feeling okay too Angel Rose, also thinking about you and still fully believing in your recovery. Things will get better and easier, please don't worry and remember to hang in there - will get through this and your body is well on the way to taming this virus for good now.

Take care

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.