Glandular fever is getting me down

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had glandular fever for over a year now. Don't get me wrong I feel a lot better to what I did 8 months ago. But I still feel exhausted and wake up with terrible aches and pains all through my legs. I am struggling with work at the minute and I'm having to take time off. I feel like resting and doing nothing makes me depressed and feel even more low than I already am. It feels like I'm going round in circles. I just don't know the best thing to do. It's really getting me down now. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

yeah .. it is the sign of glandular fever. Do you have other symptoms ... like itching, night sweats, loss of appetite, sore throat, etc. 
    • Posted

No other symptoms now. Just the tiredness and awful pains through my legs when I'm laying down and sitting. Feels like my legs are heavy. I just feel low all the time and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. And that I'm always going to feel like this. 

• Posted

Hi Ellena,

Just wanted to write with a bit of hope and encouragement, I do understand because about 10 years ago I went through a similarly tough time wiht glandular fever. Thought it was never going to get better, and same as you although I did feel better to some extent after a year I thought my body was never going to be like what it was before, that this was as good as it was going to get.

But things do still continue to improve Ellena, it really does. Let me reassure you that what you have to go through after Year 1 is nothing like what you've been through up to now, and you do make a full recovery. Don't panic if it doesn't come right away, because it definitely will come and the aches and pains will come less and less until the point that you are able to live a normal and healthy life again - I like you thought it would never come but it does, honestly I believe you will get better fully and completely!!!

Not sure if you take any vitamins or herbs at the moment, that can really help boost your system in recovery. A good strong multi-vitamin is always very helpful, as is B complex and co-enzyme Q10 for energy levels and aches and pains. Vitamin C in high doses (1000mg+ per day) and an immune boosting herb like siberian ginseng can be really good too, flaxseed or omega oils can also be helpful in reducing inflammation.

Hang in there Ellena recovery is happening now and on its way - you WILL get there and even though it's hard to see light at the end of the tunnel, I can see if for you from my angle (I've been through the tunnel and the end is closer than you think!!).

Take care and thinking of you

Craig

• Posted

Thank you for your comment. This is very reassuring. I don't currently take any vitamins. I have had metatone tonic in the past which didn't do anything for me. I will go to the pharmacy today and see if I can get some of the vitamins. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. 

• Posted

Hi Ellena,

I found out my vitamin D was low and am feeling better since taking D, Have your doctor test for this and give dosage reccomendations.

• Posted

Sounds like good advice Mono, or even if not tested it's okay to take a Vitamin D supplement can do no harm (of course unless taking beyond the maximum daily limit, which wouldn't be the case with anything bought from shops).

Hang in there and still believing in your recovery Ellena, Mono, Stokie Boy and everyone.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Ellena and like Craig says you will get better. GF is very unique to each person and recovery times seem to vary greatly. I have had it now for six months, although the first two months were awful and I didn't think I would ever get any better. I have though through rest, vitamins (still taking them including echincea although stopped metatone a couple of months back) and doing everyday thinsg again a little at a time.

I have been doing the 10,000 steps for Cancer Research UK this month which has been a challenge and tiring, however I would never have thought I would have done this back in November.

Keep a 'joy list' - daily things that you have achieved and or enjoyed. Try to keep positive as with GF a big part is getting your body back to its 'normal' state. You will start to feel better and wishing you all the best.

• Posted

Thanks for your comment. I have been out today and brought myself some multivitamins. So hopefully they might boost me up a little bit. I do have myself a Fitbit so I can keep track of my steps. But I barely reach 10,000 I'm going to try and push myself for this! The joy list sounds like a good idea I think that it will encourage me to try and achieve more things throughout the day. Thankyou so much for your advice.

Ellena

• Posted

Good luck with the 10,000 steps for Cancer Research UK Stokie, that's amazing that you're doing that and look how far you've come being able to even think about doing that is wonderful - well done!!

Great advice for Ellena, definitely wise words and thanks so much! You hang in there too and remember things will keep going in the right direction day by day and week by week and month by month things will get stronger and better!

Take care and the recovery will keep on happening in a good way!

Craig

P.S. the 'joy list' is a great idea - would definitely recommend that, of course it's hard to stay positive when going through the worst parts of the illness but it's so important to try and stay grateful for the small things and this kind of attitude is so important in recovery!!

• Posted

Hi Ellena,

Good luck with the vitamins, just remember though I'm no medical expert of any expert on vitamins, it's just really from my own research and personal experience - it's important also to make sure that you're not exceeding maximum daily limits of anything, but that usually tells you on the packaging that would only really be an issue if taking the same vitamin from different supplements. But I definitely think it will help taking multivitamins and certainly do no harm!!

Just be careful if pushing yourself Ellena, sometimes that can be a dangerous thing too and set you back, don't overdo it as you need to listen to your body when going through it too - but definitely don't let the virus stop you from doing things in moderation and doing the things you enjoy be that seeing friends, going for a manageable walk, etc.

Let us know how you are doing and remember you will get through this and will get better!!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.