Glandular fever (long term)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 17 years old and was diagnosed eith glandular fever in late august. I wasnt too ill, just had throbbing migraines for a week or two and a lot of neck pain. Only a very small swollen gland in my groin and that was all. A blood test confirmed that it was infact glandular fever.

For the past 2 months though I've been very very down in all aspects both mentally and physically sad

Ive had non stop thrush, both genital and I had a rash on my neck that is being very persistant but alowly disappearing with steroid creams and anti fungal creams.

I had atopic eczema as a child that hasnt been present in over 10 years and all of a sudden Ive had a breakout of what i would think is discoid/nummular eczema, though others have said it may be minor psoriasis. Unrefined shea butter is helping but very very slowly.

On my eyelid I have some sort of eczema that WILL NOT BUDGE, STEROID CREAM ONLY HELPED FOR A MATTER OF DAYS. It returns worse than before every time and stings, I read in one place online that this may be caused by a type of fungus too??? And I als have something similar under my lip and at the corner of my mouth and neither will budge with either anti fungal creams or steroid creams.

I was wondering if anybody else had been through anything similar after being diagnosed with glandular fever? Will it end? At this point its really starting to impact my mental health too and the stress surely cant be good in this situation

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

So I found out I had it end of July this year. I suffer still with awful neck pain, one gland in my neck that doesn’t seem to go down, and one in my groin. Painful armpits, itchy down there yes thrush a few times 🙈 itchy eyes and bloodshot eyes! Throat issues! Cough which has recently turned to phumonia I’m only 26! And absolutely sick of this virus! Oh and Nausea, major anxiety. Probably missed some out as there’s that many!! 

Sick of it now and want to be better again #month5 😭

• Posted

Couldnt imagine the glands being swollen continously, its super painful sometimes sad i feel like so many people fail to speak about the mental side of GF and ive seen so many people on here like you who have suffered with anxiety following their illness! I wish you all the best in your recovery and remember not to strain yourself too much
  • Posted

Hi Po,

Just wanted to write to offer some encouragement and reassurance at this time, I went through glandular fever when I was 25 and like you had such an awful time with it. I want to reassure you that it does go away, it's just so frustrating that it can take so long for some folk. By far the first few months you have been through now are the worst, and things will get better - but don't panic if it still takes a bit of time because it definitely WILL get better. Plus being 17 is an advantage too - younger people can recover quicker and bounce back and have no problems after the initial horrible period of symptoms and fatigue is over.

Things that helped me included taking vitamins and herbs, a good strong multi-vitamin per day helped me, as did B complex and taking extra Vitamin C. Immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinicea can be great too.

In terms of the fungus, I'm not sure but I do know that the same virus that causes glandular fever (EBV) is also responsible for cold sores and herpes type symptoms, so that may well be in line with that but be assured that it does go away given time - hang in there and thinking about you. It really does get to you mentally I know, but you will have lots of healthy and happy years ahead once you get through this I really believe Po, so be kind to yourself give yourself plenty of rest - that's what your body needs right now but also try to do things you enjoy that don't take too much energy out of you either, continue to see friends and things if you can because that helps.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you so much for the advice Craig! It is always reassuring to know that other people have been in the same boat for just as long. I'll defo be investing in some more specific vitamins than just hair, skin and nails too.

• Posted

You're welcome Po, and remember YOU ARE GOING TO GET BETTER!!! Take it from me as someone who went through the same and thought there was no end to it, you are going through the worst part right now and better times are ahead!!!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.