Glandular fever Recurring symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I will try to be brief....

After feeling absolutely horrendous for a week, I was sent to the hospital for blood tests and was positively diagnosed with glandular fever on 14th April, the symptoms gradually got better over the course of 2 weeks until only the fatigue remained.

It is now the 28th of May and 2 days ago I awoke with a sore throat which seemed to be confined to the left side, over the last 2 days it has got so bad I am having pains when I swallow / yawn or sneeze and my gland had more than doubled in size to the point it is visible to the naked eye,I also have other flu like symptoms - congestion, runny nose and coughs

Really my question is, is this possibly a relapse of symptoms or just a cold/flu

I thought I was really lucky and shrugged off the mono quite quickly but am not so sure now

Thanks smile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Simon,

So sorry to hear you are having this tough time at the moment, really hoping and praying these symptoms settle down soon and you feel much better. I know everyone's experience of glandular fever is very different, it took me a good few months to get over things for sure, so definitely it can be very normal for symptoms to linger for a period before they get better - but the key thing to know is that they DO get better and you will return to full health. Key thing is just not to push yourself too hard in these few months, allow your body proper time to recover and know that recovery can be kind of zig-zag, up and down with this, you can have mini-setbacks for sure but then it gets back on track again.

Taking vitamins and herbs really helped me, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), B complex (for energy levels and nervous system) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, echinicea and oregano. That can certainly help give your immune system a good boost when feeling this way.

The doctor told me when I had this recovery would be 4-6 weeks, but it did in reality take longer - so don't panic if it takes a little longer than expected, that can be normal but your body DOES get over it and you WILL get back to full health again, absolutely - just take it easy and be kind to yourself in the meantime! The forum here is a good one full of people with encouraging words and different experiences.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Simon,

Just wondering how you are feeling now that a couple month has passed? I too was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and only had the symptoms briefly. Just recently though I have get my condition going backwards.

Keen to hear if you have since recovered?

• Posted

Hi Thomas,

So sorry to hear that you have been going through mono. Just want to offer reassurance that you will get better from this, these first few weeks can be so horrible and intense and tough to deal with - do make sure you get plenty of rest and taking some of the vitamins mentioned in the above post certainly an idea too. Thinking about you and hoping you feel much better soon - don't panic if recovery isn't instant, it can take a bit of time to get over this but you definitely will get there and get through this - thinking about you as I remember how horrible those first few weeks were for me too, but with God's help got there with time.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.