Glandular Fever reoccurance? TMI Warning!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've recently believed I made a full recovery from Glandular fever. But, it seems some symptoms may be coming back.

I didn't think it was possible, so I brushed it off. But now, I'm not sure. 

Last week, I experienced some coughing fits and my throat felt sore for a couple of days. Last night, I looked in my mouth as my throat felt 'full'. I noticed red spots at the back of my throat. My mother told me that it might be caused by eating certain foods, and they might have cut the roof of my mouth at the back. So, I thought no more of it.

Recently, I've been feeling more tired and weak during the day. But, I know after GF tiredness can last a few more months. So again, brushed it off as nothing but a side effect. 

Until the dizziness hits. It always hits at around 4 PM and lasts until 6:30 PM. It's the type of dizziness that you get when you drink a bit too much, though I haven't been drinking.

I don't know whether this is caused by it, but I've felt like I've had amnesia. I can hardly remember anything during the day, even an hour later. I easily forget what people tell me, and that's not me.

This afternoon, I had diarrhoea. I've not eaten anything out of the ordinary, or anything spicy to get that. I've also noticed that when I touch the side of my neck, my glands are swollen and hard again. Sometimes they have been painful to touch, others times not.

Could it be coming back? Or, could I just be paranoid?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Mine came back and lasted for about a month, not as bad though the symptoms were lighter, I have been feeling pretty good the last two months.
  • Posted

Hi there,

I had mono 2 1/2 years ago and I had small relapses for about a yeat and a half. They getter slighter and farther apart. EBV is a scary virus that causes mono & there are so many wierd symptoms. It affects you physically and mentally. I would rest as much as you possibly can and don't push yourself. I believe you will come out of the fog, it just takes some time. Take vitamins as well and hang in there. You'll get through it & what seems like forever will pass. It just seems to take some time with this one.

• Posted

Hi, ok, it's been a year for me now, I thought it was really going but symptoms came back and I'm still suffering, it's not as bad. I saw an endocrinologist the other day and he said another 6 months to a year before its gone. Post viral fatigue. Xx

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

​Did he say why he felt it would last that long? I have been feeling pretty good, still get the sick feeling days but it is far less than before. My daughter is still suffering and came down with a bad cold which really set her back.

• Posted

Hi mono,

i am no where near as bad like I was in the first 8 months but I do have weeks when I'm good and others are hard work!

no, he didn't say why that long, just that it would go and expect to go back to work in the spring time not before. 

I still can't do evenings!

• Posted

Hey Mono and Caroline,

Just wanted you both to know I'm still thinking about you, even when I don't message. I'm still struggling myself at the moment with things and just really hoping next year can be a much better one for all of us! Trusting God with that!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Butterfly,

I don't think you are being paranoid at all, sometimes it can be a bit like this where the recovery is a bit zig zag and up and down with glandular fever, so although you feel mostly (I hope) recovered, sometimes there can be mini relapses where it feels like it's happening again, although want to reassure you that these are very normally no more than mini relapses and things do settle down again - i.e. you don't have ot go through all this again, it's just sometimes the fatigue and some symptoms can linger or come back, especially when under stress or if you have a cold or anything like that.

Do want to reassure you this can be normal, and that everything will be okay again! For the memory / concentration problems, I've seen a lot of people on the site say this can be an issue. Would definitely recommend taking B complex vitamin to help with, and maybe a supplement like Co-enzyme Q10 as they both help with brain fog and concentration. Also good to take a good strong multi-vitamin per day and a good strong dose of Vitamin C and Vitamin D per day.

Take care and thinking of you - and remember it is not 'coming back', this can be normal and things will settle down again, I really do believe that - hang in there!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.